1965 C Door window slot re-assembly

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bruce jamieson
356 Fan

Re: 1965 C Door window slot re-assembly

#16 Post by Bruce jamieson »

DOUG;
Can you take a picture of the rubber weather strip on the leading edge of the door. We need to know what the correct orientation is. It is a split piece with a protruding edge in the middle of one side. Looks like we lay it over the edge of the door and trim so it will go around the angle in the door frame.
Thanx
Bruce

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#17 Post by Doug McDonnell »

If I understand the piece you are talking about then flat side goes on inner edge of door. And side with rib is on front where door meets the front part of the door opening. Since I am out of town can someone snap a pic before I get home next week?
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#18 Post by Eric McKinley »

Doug,
Am I correct in saying that M8 goes the full length of the window/chrome strip to include the vent window, hence the ordering of a longer M8 in the thread above.
The M149 must be a very short piece then, which fits in front of M8, just the length of the vent window?
M149 looks to be a figure of 8 profile.
M7 goes under the chrome strip at the bottom, again a figure of 8 profile, however the larger part of the figure of 8 goes inside the chrome strip and the smaller part outside.
Does this all sound correct?

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#19 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Eric this area is not fun to do. 3 or 4 hands needed . discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32579&hilit=door+top+chrome+install As far as numbers from IM go Prior to doing mine I could have told you for sure but I THINK M8 is the flatish window scraper and will need to be trimmed for length. M7 is the piece under the door top chrome with figure of 8 profile and M149 is piece in between door top chrome and vent window with figure of 8 profile in the rubber kit from IM. Large bead of each strip is on outside. See Brad Ripleys comments here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37276&hilit=front+blinker+beading PS It took me two or three tries Installing the door top chrome with "spacers" between the body and the door top chrome to get correct "gap" between the door top chrome and the vent window. In the above link there were pieces of ? Lead used for gapping the door top chrome.My car came in "pieces/parts" like yours Eric so didn't have the pieces the factory used for spacing. I used plastic spacers I made from a milk bottle. I think I ended up using 2 spacers under the front screw 1 under the 2nd screw and 1 under the rear screw. None under the 3rd screw. A lot of trial and error to get this all to fit well. This is an excellent picture showing completed outside window area. Not my car but a car I have lusted after for decades. 65 SC sunroof coupe turned into an outlaw by Neil Goldberg. When it was for sale I saved this picture from the ad.
Attachments
exterior window details.jpg
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.