Head light relay for a T2 car

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
JERRY LANDES
356 Fan

Head light relay for a T2 car

#1 Post by JERRY LANDES »

I can't find a replacement for my head light relay even used. There must be some VW one that will work while I try to get mine restored. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Jerry Landes

Phil Planck
356 Fan

Re: Head light relay for a T2 car

#2 Post by Phil Planck »

Jerry
This is the relay in Joe Leonie's kit:
Bosch 0332204001 Fuel Injection Main Relay
It is 6v. I bought some last year on ebay. Seller has none listed now, but I have contacted him to see if he has any left. It is 6 volt and will require blade type female connectors, so you will have to patch in to your bullets somehow.

Update: he has one left.
Phil Planck

JERRY LANDES
356 Fan

#3 Post by JERRY LANDES »

Phil, I went on line and found the Bosch relay with numbers that you gave me. I don't know if I would have found it easily without the number though. They list it for all VW through 66. It has 5 terminals as opposed to the 6 on the green relay that I have. I wonder if its because the VWs didn't have a head light flasher option at the steering wheel. You wouldn't happen to remember how you hooked it up since all the numbers are different.
One would think that if they already make fog light relays with same physical looking housing that they would make them for the head light dimmer switch. I seriously doubt that the original one that I have can ever be rebuilt because its so rusty.
Jerry

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#4 Post by Phil Planck »

Jerry
There is a schematic on the housing that will show you how to hook it up. I used this for a fog light, but should be easy to adapt for headlight. Basically you run a heavy gauge hot wire to the relay for the light, and a light gauge wire that gets hot when you turn on the headlight switch. Rest of connection I think are grounds.
Phil Planck