Speaker Question

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Russ Myers
356 Fan
Tag: Rock and roll shaped like a classic rod

Speaker Question

#1 Post by Russ Myers »

I don't know much about the speakers used during the different years. A friend of mine asked me to do something with them. I have a pair of rusted and battered round ones, and I have an oval one that he claims is NOS. Part of the stamp is missing on the back of the oval one, but what I can read says "Made In Cana" the part on the magnet says:

Deluxe

I would have assumed that the 'Cana' part refers to Canada, which wouldn't make sense as an OEM part (to me anyways). But I really don't know.
IMG_8858.JPG
IMG_8856.JPG
IMG_8860.JPG
IMG_8866.JPG
IMG_8867.JPG

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

Re: Speaker Question

#2 Post by Dave Wildrick »

“Do something with them” is a little vague. Does he plan to actually listen to these speakers? If so, either type can be re-coned, but no one can see what is beneath the grills and grill cloth, so why bother with old crappy 50+ year-old speakers. You can get 5 inch or 5.25 inch speakers that will fit under the square-cornered sort of round chrome covers, which are found on many C cars (and on both of my C coupes). I have modern 5.25 inch speakers under my grills, you can’t see what’s under there, and they sound great.

I’m not sure what the oval speaker came from without researching it, but I’m guessing probably not a C car.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

#3 Post by Alex Mestas »

When I was sourcing the correct original loud speakers for my T-6 it was my understanding from very knowledgable Porsche enthusiasts that:

Track style speaker grilles (2-3 variations) were used until very early 1959 without any cloth.

Football style speaker grilles, with the tan/beige and gold strips cloth, were used from early 1959 thru T-5

Round speaker grilles were used from 1962 to late 1963.

Hexagon speaker "sort of round" grilles, with cloth were used from very late 63 thru '65.
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Russ Myers
356 Fan

#4 Post by Russ Myers »

Vague is a good way to describe it. We had a conversation about them, and he couldn't quite decide if he wanted to sell them at the Lit Show, get them reconed and use them in a future car, or to put them back in a box and ignore them for another twenty years. My task was to figure out what they fit before any decision was made.

I appreciate the info.

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#5 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Merely as another T6 reference, herewith a photo of an original C cab's speaker grill.
Attachments
DSCN0649-001.JPG

Alex Mestas
356 Fan

#6 Post by Alex Mestas »

Here is the Blaupunkt speakers and "sort of round" speaker grilles for a late 63 T-6. I have never definitively identified what the original cloth should look like. Another one of those Porsche mysteries.
speakers.jpg
Attachments
speaker grills.jpg

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#7 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Alex-
I put very close up photos of original speaker cloth on my website. Click on link below my name. Original parts section.
Paul
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Alex Mestas
356 Fan

#8 Post by Alex Mestas »

Thanks Paul! That explains why the controversy between the Gray and Tan cloth color. I've been on your website but for some reason never saw that.

The guy I bought my speakers and grills from, was of the opinion that the cloth he included in the set that he sold me, was close to original. I guess it was close to the original if it was then faded. Anyway; I installed them on my car, but the fix is rather easy, if I ever source the correct or close to correct color.
Attachments
Speaker cloth tan color.jpg
Speaker cloth tan color.jpg (46.04 KiB) Viewed 961 times

Russ Myers
356 Fan

#9 Post by Russ Myers »

I've been to the website to, but I wasn't looking at these speakers when I did. I have yet another layer of appreciation for it!