356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
GiorgioPerissinotto
356 Fan

#1 Post by GiorgioPerissinotto »

Hello everyone,

like perhaps many in the forum, I was a Porsche owner 40 years ago (1966 911, 1970 ? 914) and now I wish I had kept at least one (the 911 and not the 914).

So I just bought a 1962 356B T5 Coupe. The car has been in Hawaii and is in fairly good mechanical condition.

But I am facing some rust issues for which I need advice. Though the rust is not threatening the whole undercarriage, I do need to change the longitudinals on both sides. But I am at a loss at how much I should be prepared to pay. One estimate is 4,000 to 5,000, which sounds quite high. Is it? Your comments will be appreciated.

But can I really trust the regular body shop or should I search out only those which have done 356s before? I live in Southern California, Santa Barbara.
Giorgio

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: New member

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Welcome, Giorgio.
Only use a shop that has done 356s before. I am sure others in your area will begin to give you recommendations.

GiorgioPerissinotto
356 Fan

Longitudinals

#3 Post by GiorgioPerissinotto »

A kind memeber answere my inquiry suggesting that I only use shops that have done the longitudinals on a 356 before. I agree. And I have perused the forum on that topic. My 61 Coup is not very rusty, since as far as I can tell it has lived only in California and in Hawaii. But there is significant rust on the four corners of the longitudinals. The door bottoms are rust free and sound on both sides. I have no reservations, other than what seems excessive cost ($4000 plus), about replacing the longitudinals, but I do worry about mentions of structure misalignment during that process. I know a number of competent body shops in Santa Barbara, CA, but I am hesitant because to date I have not found one whe specifically said "I have done this before." The reply I get is usually "We do a professional job and have done antique and vintage cars ...What to do?

Thanks,
Giorgio

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

Go south. The LA area has some of the best 356 restoration shops on earth.

Rosemary Sampson

#5 Post by Rosemary Sampson »

Schneider Autohaus in Santa Barbara

Victor Miles, ditto

Jason Duarte, Ventura

Jack Staggs, San Clemente

John Willhoit, Long Beach

The first three are nearby for you. If they cannot do the work they will probably have good ideas on who can that are local to you in SB. There are a lot of people in LA and Orange Counties in addition to Jack and John.