Speedi-Sleeve

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Phil Planck
356 Fan

Re: Speedi-Sleeve

#16 Post by Phil Planck »

I installed Speedi-Sleeves on both flywheel and pulley circa 1989 on my 1500 engine. Have used synthetic oil since brake in. After 35,000 miles, no leaks so far. There is an ideal surface finish for the seals, and the Speedi-Sleeve is supposed to have that finish. Back then, no 356 vendor carried them(sleeves). I just got a Chicago Rawhide (CR) catalog and found seals and sleeves that fit.
Phil Planck

Al Zim
356 Fan

#17 Post by Al Zim »

Zim's Autotechnik uses speedy sleeves all the time and has sold hundreds of them. When there is a grooved surface we advise the customer to put a small amount of Locktight between the sleeve and the hub. The part does not have to be transported to a machine shop and there is not down time in comkpleting the product. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#18 Post by Dick Weiss »

The word 'laborinth' is the final surface finish and the seal's lip will 'break in' to the surface finish. Metal removed for a good OD surface is generally w/in .005".

I'll still do it my way vs. the Speedi-Sleeve as I've been doing it for 15+years.
Dick

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#19 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Dick Weiss wrote:The word 'laborinth' is the final surface finish and the seal's lip will 'break in' to the surface finish. Metal removed for a good OD surface is generally w/in .005".

I'll still do it my way vs. the Speedi-Sleeve as I've been doing it for 15+years.
Dick
I don't mean to be a PITA, but I believe the word is "labyrinth."
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#20 Post by Dave Erickson »

I still plan to turn down the hub (and lighten the flywheel and dress the clutch surface), and received some useful advice from a friend who works on old race cars. The spring in the oil seal should be shortened slightly, 2-3 turns. The spring is held together by being wound back inside itself, and with a little care the length can be adjusted.

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#21 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

[quote="DaveErickson" The spring in the oil seal should be shortened slightly, 2-3 turns. [/quote]

Is this the advice of the friend that worked on race cars? What is the basis of the deviation from the seal designer's intention? Is this a modification that is specific to Porsches in the race environment?
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#22 Post by Dave Erickson »

This is the advice of the friend who works on race cars. He said that when he has to turn a hub down he will also tighten the spring in the oil seal. I heard the same advice from others.

With a Speedi Sleeve we are expecting the seal to handle a diameter that is .022" larger than the nominal diameter. It must work, but there is no data to prove it is within design specs of the seal, or whether it shortens the life of the seal. However, it seems clear that the tension in the spring was designed to work for the nominal diameter of the hub, and if the diameter is less, the spring needs to be shorter to have the same tension. Probably with a Speedi Sleeve, the spring should be lengthened for the same reason.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#23 Post by Dick Weiss »

I've had a couple of 'talkers' several years ago who didn't get the leak to stop.
As I've been involved w/hi-speed spindles on milling and grinding machines, the surface must NOT have an absolute shiny surface like chrome. They followed up
w/my suggestion and it was solved--@ least w/their situation.

Dick