C rear wheel bearing and seal replacement

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

Re: C rear wheel bearing and seal replacement

#16 Post by Jim Liberty »

Compared with what Vic is talking about (I couldn't do this ever) changing a split boot is more my speed. Keep the screws at 10:00 & 2:00, and don't tighten too much. Even I have been successful with this job.

.......................... Jim.
Jim Liberty

Jon Bunin
356 Fan

#17 Post by Jon Bunin »

Albert Tiedemann wrote:NLA-721-262-00 Rear Axle Bearing Puller for 356 transfers the extraction load directly to the inner race outside the rolling pathway via the especially manufactured collet included with the tool thereby eliminating the above. This collet only works with 8 balls [VW 241 only works with 8 balls as well]
German KUKKO bearing pullers can be adjusted for different numbers of balls, or different bearings. Puller arms can be placed in many arrangements. Rings pictured are spreaders for different bearing sizes, black objects are pressure pads placed on axle to push against. Puller is shown with 356 rear axle bearing attached.
Attachments
DSCN0424.JPG
Jon Bunin

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#18 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Ab
other collets are available for different brgs.
j

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#19 Post by Joris Koning »

Leave it to Jon to point out another tool I will now be looking for
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#20 Post by Mike Smith »

Leave it to Jon to point out another tool I will now be looking for

Me also

Best, NEW YEAR WISHES to Everybody
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#21 Post by Joris Koning »

You to Mike. See you at Larry's next year ahead of the lit show?
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Doug Thomson
356 Fan

#22 Post by Doug Thomson »

Unfortunately I discovered this thread a little late. The transaxle is out of my SC and I disassembled the axles to replace the boots and paint the outer tubes. After finding Wes', Vic's and Jacques' entries, I am concerned. I have definitely moved the axle shafts out more than 3/8 of an inch. I really don't want to take everything apart to find out if I have slipped a fulcrum plate or not. After researching, I find a lot of information on the different ways one might repair the problem but I haven't found a clear method for determine there is the problem. I can turn each axle in the same direction smoothly. While holding one axle steady, I lightly turning the other axle back to check the free play. There is some but it seems minimal. Wouldn't there be a lot of free play if the a fulcrum plate slipped? Otherwise, is there a conclusive method for determining if there is a problem without disassembling?
Doug Thomson

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#23 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Bolt the axle tube up. Install the inner spacer for the bearing. If the fulcrum plates are undisturbed, the spacer will be almost flush with the inner shelf of the tube, slightly inward. If the spacer is out at least 1/4", you have a problem.

Doug Thomson
356 Fan

#24 Post by Doug Thomson »

Great! Thank you Vic. The spacer is almost flush, slightly inward as you described. I can get some sleep now.
Doug Thomson

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#25 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Happy to help.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#26 Post by Al Zim »

It would seem to me that the first thing you need to do is to check the hub against the axle splines. If the fit is loose I would find someone in your area that has a good VW axle so that you can fit your hub on it to ascertain which if not both are worn. Fortunately new hubs and axles are available. Care must be taken not to purchase the heavy duty off road axles because (sometimes) they will not properly fit in the axle tubes. If your axle is bad, take the transmission so someone that has extensive Porsche transmission experience. It is easy to crack the differential removing the pin that holds the spider gears in place. Insist on a new VW pin when the differential is assembled. Also replace the ring gear bolts. The next situation is that the car is not longer in alignment. No matter what you have marked on the spring plate as you took things apart IT IS NOT CORRECT! You must use rolling compensation to properly align your 356. Expect this to be a $300.00 service. Experience has dictated that a close examination of the Right front lower trailing arm is essential, usually when the 356 hits a curb this arm bends. You can check this by measuring the link pin offset from the lower and upper trailing arms. If the offset needs an exceptional amount of shims on one side check it on the P70 tool. al zim 2018/09/10
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#27 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Never mind.

Doug Thomson
356 Fan

#28 Post by Doug Thomson »

I think I have added confusion to this thread and perhaps should have started a new one. I was concerned that I may have caused a fulcrum plate to slip because I had moved the axle out too far. After Vic's entry, I felt pretty good because the spacer fit correctly. I am praying, Zim, your entry is in reference to Mike Grant's first entry.

I put the big o-ring, bearing, shim and small o-ring in and tightened down the backing plate and everything moves nicely. The hubs went on the splines went on snugly. I torqued the right axle castle nut down to 400 ft lbs. I turned the right axle and it turned nicely, causing the left axle to turn counter-wise as expected. I torqued down the left axle nut to 400 ft lbs and even though it turned smoothly also it was with slightly more resistance.
With the trans in neutral, while turning the right (stiffer) axle the left axle turns counter-wise. On the other hand, when turning the left axle and the right axle doesn't move, but the center drive shaft does move. After loosening the right axle nut , the right axle is back to moving counter-wise when rotating the left axle. It stops moving counter-wise just as I tighten the nut a little. While in gear, the right axle rotates counter-wise even fully torqued.

Do I have a problem? Just to re-iterate the difference in ease of turning from left to right is slight.
Doug Thomson

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#29 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I wouldn't worry about it.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#30 Post by Wes Bender »

Vic Skirmants wrote:I wouldn't worry about it.
+1 Vic's right. Stay focused on the original issue. Don't follow anybody off on some tangent.......
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....