How many Karmann Notchbacks/Couperiolets still survive?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Christoph Wienecke
356 Fan

Re: How many Karmann Notchbacks/Couperiolets still survive?

#241 Post by Christoph Wienecke »

Mark Sabbann wrote:
Christoph Wienecke wrote: Thanks for any feedback. The 200287 will be convertet into a cab soon... :-(
Christoph
My feedback is don't convert that car to a cabriolet, there are already plenty of them!
Hi Mark,

That was my advice too. But since I don't own the car I won't be able to stop the owner from doing that.

Christoph

Christoph Wienecke
356 Fan

#242 Post by Christoph Wienecke »

quote: Here is my first question: :-) What is the difference between the left and the right window regulator on those cars?

Thanks for any feedback.
BTW I know of two other cars that will be surviving too: 200328 & 200847
The 200287 will be convertet into a cab soon... :-(

Christoph[/quote]

That's just a few cars behind mine (200443). My door window regulators are identical as far as I can tell. Are yours different, or just pointing at different angles? If the latter you can correct that by gently tapping out the pin that holds it in place, pulling the regulator off, adjusting its angle on the teeth and reinserting the pin.[/quote]

Hi Jon,

...443 is close. :-) It was hard to see that ...501 is most likely not surviving...
Regarding the window regulators. I have been told that there is a difference between left & right.
After reassembling the passenger side door I can't get the window aligning with the roof. It stays tilted clockwise for a bit not matter what I do. I hope that switching the regulators could help. I will give it a try. Since I haven't put together the other door yet I only have to take out the one I have put in already.

Christoph

steverestelli
356 Fan
Tag: 1961 Karmann Notchback

#243 Post by steverestelli »

I would think the interior regulator mechanics would have to be different as the slant of the drivers door would be about 1 o'clock and the passenger side would slant further to the left at about 11 o'clock.
Both regulator handles would be identical though.
1961 356B T5 Karmann Hardtop #200279 Sports Coupe named "Carmine"
2nd & 4th Owner of this car 1970-73 found again on Ebay in 2013 & bought it back 128K miles

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#244 Post by Norm Miller »

Christopher,

The left & right regulators are a mirror image of each other.
If the window is too high or low at the rear when the front is even with the top of the vent window you must
adjust the stops (an upper and lower) secured by 2 cap screws.
Loosen the screws and slide the slotted stops to achieve the correct height.
The inward position is adjusted at the bottom of the door on the guides.

This procedure is described in the service manual under Cabriolet doors.

Norm Notchie 200517

Christoph Wienecke
356 Fan

#245 Post by Christoph Wienecke »

Norm,

Thanks for the input.
I just looked again at both regulators.
I think the only (very important) difference is the spring position.
There is only one way of installment to make sure that the springs are unloaded while the window is cranked up. ;-)
That must be the secret...

Thanks a lot for everyones input.

Christoph

Leif Skare
356 Fan

#246 Post by Leif Skare »

Leif Skare
356 Fan

#247 Post by Leif Skare »

Asking $79.000

Gary E Smith
356 Fan

#248 Post by Gary E Smith »

I have had number 200233 for 43 years inside in Dixon, NM I am currently in the process of making it my final car to drive into my sunset. I have removed the roof and found the cab front windshield frame underneath already painted in the beautiful aetna blue. I will have a custom tonneau made and never bother with a top as it seldom rains in NM. the car starts right up after sitting for 40 years and has only about 50K miles on it. originally sold in upstate NY, but not too rusty for an eastern 356
Attachments
356 fiesta charriot 001.jpg
356 fiesta charriot 002.jpg

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#249 Post by Adam Wright »

200636 is supposed to be coming up for sale soon. Not my car.

Here is the info:
matching number Super 90 1961 Notchback - Royal Blue - Light grey interior, with trim strips.

$118,000

Restored by Benton.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Eric Rowland
356 Fan

#250 Post by Eric Rowland »

Hi. I noticed my Karmann hardtop is not listed here, #202229. I've owned it for about 8 years now but it's been in our family since 1971. Numbers matching with COA. We refurbished this car in 2000 and it was in the 356 Registry calendar in March of 2001, (would need to verify the exact month). The car spent too many years outside after that but has been garaged since 2014. It's a great daily driver. Current interior is tan and should be restored to green.

Delivery date: 01/12/1962
Engine: 607784
Transmission: 52863
Color: Heron Grey / Green
Attachments
62_KarmannHardtop.jpg
Last edited by Eric Rowland on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#251 Post by Martin Benade »

Gary, if you don't bother with top, you might figure a way to install a top boot with something inside it to give the right shape. I drove my cab for four years with no top and I didn't think the shape with nothing back there was very well proportioned. The boot (with a top inside) is a huge improvement.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jonathan Trichel
356 Fan

#252 Post by Jonathan Trichel »

Adam Wright wrote:200636 is supposed to be coming up for sale soon. Not my car.

Here is the info:
matching number Super 90 1961 Notchback - Royal Blue - Light grey interior, with trim strips.

$118,000

Restored by Benton.
I am in the process of buying this car...just pending final inspection. If you can get the seller to honor the price you’ve listed here, I will provide you a commission of 1% of sales price :-) (I’m not kidding)

Perhaps that was the asking price for the unfinished car in process? This has been a bare metal, multi year, nut and bolt restoration. I do believe it will be a top 1% market car for a notchback and concours ready. I’m very excited about the car, the shop that did the restoration, and the seller. Class acts all the way around. But I like your listed price much better haha.

I’ll be back to post pictures as I have them.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#253 Post by Adam Wright »

Jonathan Trichel wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:200636 is supposed to be coming up for sale soon. Not my car.

Here is the info:

$118,000

Restored by Benton.
I am in the process of buying this car...just pending final inspection. If you can get the seller to honor the price you’ve listed here, I will provide you a commission of 1% of sales price :-) (I’m not kidding)

Perhaps that was the asking price for the unfinished car in process? This has been a bare metal, multi year, nut and bolt restoration. I do believe it will be a top 1% market car for a notchback and concours ready. I’m very excited about the car, the shop that did the restoration, and the seller. Class acts all the way around. But I like your listed price much better haha.

I’ll be back to post pictures as I have them.
My last communication with Carol was as follows:
Hi Adam,

Just an update from me! I saw you posted the car on the 356 Registry Notchback thread. Thanks!

As I told you the $118,000.00 was the car not finished and was what I had in it.

It is now finished ( with a bunch of upgrades from the buyer that Benton did ) and pending inspection! We got it fast tracked and it is gorgeous!

Final price is $140,000.00 - as I am not on that 356 Registry board - can you update and or add on to your post.

So appreciate your help.

And hope to cross paths with you at some point - are you coming out for Luftgekühlt? Be fun to meet somewhere in that sea of thousands of people…..

All best,

Carol"

Sounds like a great car!
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jonathan Trichel
356 Fan

#254 Post by Jonathan Trichel »

Thanks Adam, yes, that is all accurate. I liked your number better! :-) I kind of assumed it was an earlier price for the unfinished car.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#255 Post by Adam Wright »

Jonathan Trichel wrote:Thanks Adam, yes, that is all accurate. I liked your number better! :-) I kind of assumed it was an earlier price for the unfinished car.
The good news is a car that is very well done will appreciate the fastest and hold it's value the best. So the rule applies, you never pay too much, you might just buy too early.
www.unobtanium-inc.com