How many Karmann Notchbacks/Couperiolets still survive?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

Re: How many Karmann Notchbacks/Couperiolets still survive?

#256 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Saw this one on eBay and Craigslist.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Porsche-3 ... xk&vxp=mtr

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/c ... 73205.html

The car was found in Lake Arrowhead, CA it was in the possession of a 75-year-old man who had owned it since 1990. He had purchased it from a local Doctor in Beverly Hills. He said he had seen the car several times in the parking lot as he was going in for various surgeries during his 50's, he told the Doctor back then if he made it through this he was buying his car and after 4 years, not only did he pull through and recovered, but he showed up one day to buy this Doctors 356 Porsche. The previous owner drove this car around the Mountain for 27 years, believe me I heard all the stories the day I bought it. (ALL THE STORIES some of them even TWICE!!! Lol lol ) He was a very happy man and loved this car. He said he went to LA maybe 10 times with it, but typically this was a true Sunday Driver and A Just Get in and Drive Car for Him. The day I picked the car up, I was driving through the Mountain Hills of Lake Arrowhead and I can see how this Car would be just a fun little rocket ship through them winding roads. He later commissioned a restoration in about 2010 as a 3 year Hobby... We have all receipts from the work completed... It was repainted, had new interior done, engine rebuild and converted to disc brakes, shocks, trim etc . The car is in overall very nice condition, Needs a little TLC just from sitting, solid body has the light typical rust in battery box (repaired), nothing major. Great California car. It is Numbers matching I have a Kardex Report Matching Motor 605614 and Transmission 45403 car was Heron Blue and Blue interior originally. We have verified numbers on drivetrain and stamping for case and all 3 match (475). Please call for more info. Priced Right to Sell, Make an Offer, this Vehicle will Sell this week . David at 619-515-2220 or 619-451-2130

From its inception of Porsche Konstruktionen GesmbH, Porsche made running improvements to the 356 throughout the 1950s. Typically changes to the brand were for performance and use rather than stylistic improvements, but things changed in 1959 when Porsche showed a brand-new face to the world. Erwin Kommenda, had conceived a new front end with almost straight-edged fenders, more vertical headlights and a larger front bumper that was raised for more crash protection. Styling Details included A chrome grab handle appeared on the front bonnet between new parking lamps located at the ends of the front air inlets. In 1962 the 356B model received changes known collectively as the T6 modifications, involving the addition of twin engine cover grilles, an external gas filler lid on the right front fender and larger windows. The 356 design was adorned by Millions during the era and led Porsche to continue with a more refined 911 variation that lasted decades.

A unique new model briefly appeared, variously referred to as the Karmann Hardtop or the Notchback Coupe. The 1961 production run was basically a cabriolet body with the optional steel cabriolet hardtop. These Karmann Coupes are considered by many some of the rarest built Porsches of the era!! in 1961 some say 1750 was the total I've heard 2000 but most importantly they are just not seen everyday in todays world. Sharing its design with the Beautiful and Extremely Valuable Cabriolets many of the Coupes were cut into Roadsters, people report maybe 200 or so still exist. The 356 Notchback registry had 156 cars when I bought this one Chassis 200256 and now 157 cars are listed. This is a very rare and very unique opportunity, and I cannot believe I'm letting it go.

Youtube Video Links

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v_8yaCNOLs&t=36s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgyRw7GpmL4&t=2s

website

www.Pmautos.com

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#257 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Updated my post with the craigslist ad I found. Too bad the guy painted it red.
Just passing on the info for your Notchback database. Good time to grab pics before the ads disappear.
Martin

Jonathan Trichel
356 Fan

#258 Post by Jonathan Trichel »

Restoration on mine is almost done. Needs glass, waiting on new wheels, tires, etc. Getting close and I’m excited. Delivery at Luft 5.
Attachments
AD2CE328-D9E2-4D86-A390-33B9FE612E2B.jpeg
C7D8DF3C-FDD6-4D7B-BE51-E0A0451ABA3A.jpeg
3E1892FA-3BCC-4B3D-9403-7B472769D231.jpeg

steverestelli
356 Fan
Tag: 1961 Karmann Notchback

#259 Post by steverestelli »

Nice, I really like the side trim molding. Hopefully you can find a rear glass window.
1961 356B T5 Karmann Hardtop #200279 Sports Coupe named "Carmine"
2nd & 4th Owner of this car 1970-73 found again on Ebay in 2013 & bought it back 128K miles

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#260 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Another one found for sale.

https://redding.craigslist.org/cto/d/19 ... 57449.html

This is a rusty and rare car that needs full restoration. These cars cars were made for two years only from Convertible Cabriolet bodies that had hard tops welded on at the factory. Many were raced because of stiffer bodies and more aerodynamic body design by 1 M.P.H. in Road tests. A slightly taller roof accommodated more head and helmet room. The rear window is 2 1/2 inches longer than a regular hard top on a Cabriolet and almost impossible to find if it is missing. I have the rear window. so it could be returned to original factory design. The engine is a frozen non-original engine and trans condition is unknown. All gauges are intact and show 70,xxx miles. Rolls and steers well. Good bones for a "Outlaw" Convertible, Speedster/Roadster type custom or back to original. Top has been cut off at the post base areas. My goal was to make a Factory looking Convertible Cabriolet again with a Cabriolet hard or possibly a Roadster looking outlaw.( Now however, I would trade this car for a better 356 project or driver.) I have added many parts since I bought it and cannot list them all but they include a 4 Porsche 356 rims and wheels, a good tail section, headlight buckets, new hood ornament, some rusty bumpers and many nice small items,books, tools and things. The original rear seat cover looks to be a nice green. I do not have a Factory Kardex but I believe they only made a couple hundred of these cars in 1962. Not many are left that have all these options. Original paint color is unknown, my guess is Slate Gray or White by looking at base colors in a couple places. Hood, doors and deck lid look to be original. I also have a very nice original "Complete" Porsche Cabriolet Hard Top that goes with this car for use in a Cabriolet conversion restoration goal, it is Black with a good headliner, clips and great original Porsche glass. Clear California title in my name on Non-Op status. $36,000 Edward at 530 three 4 7- nine one 9 two

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#261 Post by Adam Wright »

Martin Bruechle wrote:Another one found for sale.

https://redding.craigslist.org/cto/d/19 ... 57449.html

This is a rusty and rare car that needs full restoration. These cars cars were made for two years only from Convertible Cabriolet bodies that had hard tops welded on at the factory. Many were raced because of stiffer bodies and more aerodynamic body design by 1 M.P.H. in Road tests. A slightly taller roof accommodated more head and helmet room. The rear window is 2 1/2 inches longer than a regular hard top on a Cabriolet and almost impossible to find if it is missing. I have the rear window. so it could be returned to original factory design. The engine is a frozen non-original engine and trans condition is unknown. All gauges are intact and show 70,xxx miles. Rolls and steers well. Good bones for a "Outlaw" Convertible, Speedster/Roadster type custom or back to original. Top has been cut off at the post base areas. My goal was to make a Factory looking Convertible Cabriolet again with a Cabriolet hard or possibly a Roadster looking outlaw.( Now however, I would trade this car for a better 356 project or driver.) I have added many parts since I bought it and cannot list them all but they include a 4 Porsche 356 rims and wheels, a good tail section, headlight buckets, new hood ornament, some rusty bumpers and many nice small items,books, tools and things. The original rear seat cover looks to be a nice green. I do not have a Factory Kardex but I believe they only made a couple hundred of these cars in 1962. Not many are left that have all these options. Original paint color is unknown, my guess is Slate Gray or White by looking at base colors in a couple places. Hood, doors and deck lid look to be original. I also have a very nice original "Complete" Porsche Cabriolet Hard Top that goes with this car for use in a Cabriolet conversion restoration goal, it is Black with a good headliner, clips and great original Porsche glass. Clear California title in my name on Non-Op status. $36,000 Edward at 530 three 4 7- nine one 9 two
Here is that car before the top was re-installed, and I use that term loosely. It was last in KY for around $10,000 I think. Maybe now that it's a California car the price goes up.
Attachments
kynotch.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#262 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Guys tend to really jack up prices out here Adam.
My brother up north looks at CL and told me about this one that looks interesting.

https://medford.craigslist.org/cto/d/po ... 93141.html

Then I started looking up north for 356's and found that Notchback

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#263 Post by Jim Alton »

A T-6 Notchback just appeared on Bring-a-Trailer:

1962 Porsche 356B Karmann Notchback Project
at https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-porsche-hard-top/
at https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-porsche-hard-top/
The auction ends Tuesday, March 20 at 2:30 PM.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Robert J Boerner
356 Fan

#264 Post by Robert J Boerner »

Hello I have 200962 T5 Pacific Grove CA

mark starr
356 Fan

#265 Post by mark starr »

My 1962 356B/1600 Super Karmann Hardtop # 201724 is moving along. This T6 Electric Sunroof Notch is getting painted in it's original color 6203/ Oslo Blue and the interior is being restored as per it's C of A in Red Leatherette with Corduroy inserts. Getting painted this weekend.............
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_12015.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_11fd2.jpeg

mark starr
356 Fan

#266 Post by mark starr »

I also recently purchased this pretty cool Notchback. It's VIN# 200627. It's an Emory Outlaw built and raced by Rod Emory for 4 years. It's getting sorted now. Can't wait for the first drive........
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_11d7b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_11d7c.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_11d7e.jpeg

Jonathan Trichel
356 Fan

#267 Post by Jonathan Trichel »

Coming along
Attachments
DD4C26A4-38AE-4A3D-A042-A9F6601C827D.jpeg

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#268 Post by Adam Wright »

Attachments
201844.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#269 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#270 Post by Martin Bruechle »