Hood Straps

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

Hood Straps

#1 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Guys,

I am finishing up the work on my C coupe to recreate a '60's Rally car (pics to follow once it is all done). So far I have accomplished this without drilling any holes, and I plan to keep it that way.

One thing I would like to do is "install" leather hood straps. I would like to hear from anyone who has installed these without drilling holes in the body and the hood. My thoughts are to use strong rare earth magnets, double sided tape or a combination of the two, OR anything else someone has thought of.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

Re: Hood Straps

#2 Post by Steve Harrison »

You could use a small dab of silicone caulk maybe? Fairly strong adhesion, but reversible if you want.
But even without drilling, any way you attach them will most likely leave some sort of tell tale on the paint if you leave them on for any length of time. I like the magnet idea. Maybe you could hot glue gun or epoxy the magnets to the straps, then cover the magnets with a thin layer of felt, silk, or some other fabric. Then for extra insurance, you could put some bigger magnets (also protected by silk, etc.) on the opposite (under) side of the hood and trunk wall. Double magnet strength if polarity is observed right? Problem is that the "road test" of his set up would no doubt scratch the paint if they let go at speed and tumbled up the hood. Maybe you could first try the set up with an experiment on another car that you care less about the paint.

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#3 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Steve Harrison wrote:Maybe you could first try the set up with an experiment on another car that you care less about the paint.
That's a great idea, will anyone reading this let me borrow their car for a day or so? :D
:D

Seriously, The suggestions you gave are all excellent. The straps don't weigh much so magnets or a double sided tape may work fine.

I would still live to hear any other thoughts from the peanut gallery.

Thanks,
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#4 Post by Emil Wojcik »

The auto industry has used double stick tape for attaching trim, molding, logos, etc. for a long time so it has a proven track record of holding up.

I've had to remove trim, etc. in the past from newer cars using tape and if done correctly, it doesn't damage the paint. Any stubborn adhesive left behind after removal has always been easy to clean up with Goo-Gone or similar product.

If you plan on going with tape, I'd check with a dealership parts guy to see what type they recommend.

The only disadvantage I can think of is that if it's on the car for an extended number of years, the paint under the straps will likely be a different color when removed due to sun fade.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Charlie White
356 Fan

#5 Post by Charlie White »

What's next "faux body mounted fog lights"? :shock:

Just kidding, Sebastian.

CW
Charlie White

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#6 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Charlie White wrote:What's next "faux body mounted fog lights"? :shock:

Just kidding, Sebastian.

CW

Charlie, you pegged it. I am being a total poseur in this endeavor. If i was for real I would have already drilled the holes!

Cheers,
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#7 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Emil,

Thanks and I agree with you that the double sided tape would be a good way to go. The good news is that I am in the dealership business and don't have too far to walk to the parts counter :D
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#8 Post by Steve Harrison »

Sebastian,...I was thinking more of experimenting on a 92 Corolla. ha ha.

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#9 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Steve,

OK that makes more sense.

I'll give it a go on one of my daughter's Volvo wagon/crash-mobiles.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Charlie White
356 Fan

#10 Post by Charlie White »

Sebastian,

Here's an idea somebody previously posted.

CW
Attachments
DSC00900.JPG
DSC00900.JPG (39.69 KiB) Viewed 4429 times
Charlie White

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#11 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Charlie,

That will be my "Plan B" in case the other ideas don't work out. 8)
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#12 Post by Dick Roth »

Now we are really getting out there. I like Charlie's fog lamp comment best so far. The next step in this bizarre dialogue will be an extended discussion of 1950's period glue, and avoiding the improper "modern" stuff. Personally I believe that LePages Mucilage in the glass bottle with the rubber dispenser tip from Woolworths would be appropriate, BUT I don't think they had it in Germany in those years, so that opens up a whole other avenue of discussion, sort of like tires with original German air in them from 1958.
Whoa boy!!

Ashley Page
356 Fan

#13 Post by Ashley Page »

I get it as I took same path. That’s why I call my creation a "chicken outlaw" (chicken out on drilling the "point of no return" holes to bolt on the non stock stuff). The idea is to be able to go back to dead stock when you chicken out and that was my plan too. Sort of like all these guys riding Harleys looking bad ass on Saturday night, fake tat’s and all, then Monday looking like the insurance executive they really are.

Sebastian, your rare earth magnet idea should work fine. I did that with my hood ornament crest. I left off the hood handle but did not want to drill another hole so I used several thin magnets glued to the back of the second hand hood crest I purchased from the classified section. I modified a 911 hood crest gasket to fit and that keeps the magnets from directly contacting the paint. My stock hood handle with crest is on the shelf.

The hood crest doesn’t move at 90mph in the rain going around a 1.6G corner. :P

I was going to use the same method to mount Sebring mirrors or GT mirrors but finally decided I liked the Durant mirror best so bolted them on as they are “stock” items.

With the leather hood strap I think you have a better magnet application than with the hood crest. You can punch holes in the leather the diameter of the magnets and that will help secure them in place. You can get magnets slightly thinner than the leather so they are not in contact with the body but are close enough to the steel to hold tight. Its nice to be able to just remove them when you clean the car. You can move them an inch this way or that to fake people out.

I have bought magnets from this outfit for years.

http://www.forcefieldmagnets.com/catalog/

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#14 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I like it; moving hood straps. Just like Marty Feldman's Igor in "Young Frankenstein".
Hump; what hump? And wasn't it on the other side last time?

Laurent Clerc
356 Fan

#15 Post by Laurent Clerc »

That's an interesting thread! Congratulations to Sebastian daring to ask such a wired question :D and I also really like the Ashley definition of the "chicken outlaw" category!

In fact not so dumb. I remember that few months ago I was suggesting exactly the same approach of using double-sided tape to someone who was reluctant to drill his hood. Needless to say that I have been immediately flamed by the community (a French one :wink: ) and called a dumba..

Well well, anyway I like the idea. Best of both world, you have the look, you have no hole, ...but you miss the purpose of the straps. It's just a choice. This being said I would not go for the magnet because even if it's padded there is a risk of scratch because of what's around (dust, splashed tar etc...) if it moves for any reason.

In the list of "chicken outlaw" stuff you can pretty much quickly and easily put on and off, add the Speedster seats, the bumpers, the double-sided taped straps, clip-on headlight meshed grilles, muffler and rims.

You can go "wild" for a weekend and than switch back to "normal" without any collateral effect. That's cool.