Need help finding a car. 64 356 SC

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tom Deadrick
356 Fan

Need help finding a car. 64 356 SC

#1 Post by Tom Deadrick »

I'm looking for some help finding my fathers old 1964 356SC. He purchased new from Reynold C Johnson dealership in San Francisco on November 9th 1963. With the Serial number 215564. The car was Ivory White with Red interior. He sold it to a guy named Kenneth Roche back in 1981. I did a search on the registry, it looks like it was entered again in 1994 to a Margaret Parratt in CA. All searches for this person come up with nothing. There was one that came up as a Margaret Parrott but passed a few years ago. I found one of their relatives and they were pretty sure she never had a Porsche.

My dream would be to buy the car back and give it to my father as a gift. It was the one car that he wish he never sold...
Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Tom
Any info can be emailed to me at tom AT kartboy DOT com

John Wurner
356 Fan

Re: Need help finding a car. 64 356 SC

#2 Post by John Wurner »

Hi Tom
I have a 64 SC built in late 63. The vin is 127745. Could you have reversed the 1 and the 2?
Would make a difference in your search.
Best of luck, John

John Wurner
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Wurner »

Well, if your car was a Karman it looks like the vin number you have might be correct.
They seem to start at 212601.
John

Tom Deadrick
356 Fan

#4 Post by Tom Deadrick »

Vin is correct. Dad sent me a copy of the original bill of sale. :)

He was also a member of the SCC

Richard Milstead
356 Fan

#5 Post by Richard Milstead »

John,
It's a Karmann Coupe!!!!! C's started at 215001. His Dad's was 215564 which seems about right, give or take, for a late '63 delivery.
Dick Milstead
Dick Milstead

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#6 Post by Wes Bender »

The Twin Valley Sports Car Club put on time and distance sports car rallies in the mid-sixties. I think that they were located in the S.F. Bay Area. That emblem that you have may have been for mounting on the grill.

Cheers,
Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Tom Deadrick
356 Fan

#7 Post by Tom Deadrick »

Wes Bender wrote:The Twin Valley Sports Car Club put on time and distance sports car rallies in the mid-sixties. I think that they were located in the S.F. Bay Area. That emblem that you have may have been for mounting on the grill.

Cheers,
Wes
Yes, i remember going on a few of the fun runs with him as a wee tot. He thinks he still has the PCA badge that used to be on the other side of the trunk.

I wonder if i can contact Hagerty insurance and see if they have any info on it. I have my E30 M3 insured through them. Its worth a shot...

Tom

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#8 Post by Tom Coughlin »

Tom: Either you'll find that car and (a willing seller) or if not, just find one just like it and you and your Dad will have fun miles together. Go for it. Tom
 KTF, member #15

Tom Deadrick
356 Fan

#9 Post by Tom Deadrick »

No luck with Hagerty. They said they couldn't do a reverse search on serial numbers.
I did find the same spec car with a vin number two numbers higher than his. ( close enough? LOL )

Honestly i'm not interested in any other cars but his. If i dont find it, its not the end of the world.
I do have to say its been a blast so far trying to find the car.
I did get another lead on a phone number in Montana. Will try that tomorrow.

Tom

Tom Deadrick
356 Fan

#10 Post by Tom Deadrick »

UPDATE:
Spoke with the owner of the car today. Its now living in the LA area. Car has been resprayed silver with black interior now. Car is not for sale. But gave me first rights of refusal IF when its time to sell.

I might go up there next time my father comes to visit me in San Diego.

Tom

Mike Grant
356 Fan

#11 Post by Mike Grant »

Just curious, but how did you find the owner?

I'd like to trace my car's ownership history but can't get anything past 1977 as the guy who owned it then hasn't reponded to my contacts.

I know that tracing an existing owner is different than finding possibly multiple owners 35+ years ago, but maybe I can learn something from your experience.

Thanks,

Mike

Tom Deadrick
356 Fan

#12 Post by Tom Deadrick »

I have a friend that's a Private Investigator. I had to pull a favor from him. less than an hour later he had a name and number for me.

I got lucky that they brought the car back to CA.