Auctions and prices

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Brian R Adams
356 Fan

Re: Auctions and prices

#16 Post by Brian R Adams »

Franny,

Even the '59 Coupe gets a $23k boost at the Condition 1 level from the Super option according to Hagerty. There are not that many options differentiating these cars compared to other marques. And the "Super" apellation is sexy when it comes to cars or caped heroes, I suppose.

Brian
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#17 Post by Jim Liberty »

Bruce, beautiful presentation, the best I've seen. Thank you for taking the time and effort to bring this to us.

Steve H., I vividly recall when an Pre - A car that was for sale, rarely sold. In the early 80s you would need to pay someone to take it away. That said, I have never purchased any 356 with the intent of making a profit on it. I just love the restoration process in of itself.

Besides an SC Cab. I'm finishing for Tiffany, I am in the middle of a Dual Cab Type II Transporter which will be my new shop truck. Pre - A dash, Hurst shifter, Speedster seats, 2.6 Type IV.

.......................................................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#18 Post by Steve Harrison »

Yes, Jim, I know you're right about that.
Lowell Sivey once told me a story about how back years ago the local club in DC organized a swap meet and at the end of the meet there was a guy with a stack of a dozen or so Pre A deck lids that by the end of the meet he had progressively marked them down,..landing in the end at $5 each. Then, when the meet was over, he finally simply asked "Can I just leave them here?" Lowell said he took them to keep them out of the dumpster, and he had given them out to people over the years when someone needed one.
Gone are those days indeed.

As far as Super designation goes, the mention that Porsche had relatively few model differentiations seems to me a good explanation about the "Super" premium. Those three C's (cam, carbs, and compression) sure do give a boo$t.

MarkWade
356 Fan

#19 Post by MarkWade »

Jim the transporter sounds great. Could you post pictures. I know that it's not a 356 but maybe on off subject post. I love all air cooled cars and trucks!

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#20 Post by Jim Liberty »

Here is the Type II with a Pre - A dash. We cut around the defroster vents and saved the VW location. The "Bent" part of the dash is exactly the same as the "Split Window". We added about 1.75" on each side and blended them into the "A" pillars.

Brian, does this pass the test for Porsche posting. Please don't holler at me. Note, there is Tiff's SC Cab in the body shop to the right. .........................Jim.

Well as usual the picture id too big for me to send, sorry.
Jim Liberty

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#21 Post by Steve Harrison »

Jim,
I was in the same boat and always in awe of how people could post so many pictures,...seemingly effortlessly. Here is a site where you can resize individual pictures and then they'll be the right size for the forum. When prompted for quality/size choices, pick the highest settings and they'll still be good. Time consuming for sure because its single,...but beats no pix at all. I still have no "resizing" software, I just use this.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

MarkWade
356 Fan

#22 Post by MarkWade »

Sorry for making trouble Jim! If its to much e-mail if you want? Thanks Mark

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#23 Post by Greg Bryan »

Steve's Shrinkpictures.com program works very well - it's easy. I hear the refrain quite often about the difficulty of reducing the picture size. Well, this is very easy and straight-forward - try it so we have more pictures on the forum!
Just cut and paste the link from Steve's post into your browser. When it opens, put it in your favorites so you can easily find it again.
Thanks for the tip, Steve.
Greg Bryan

Ivan Fuller
356 Fan

#24 Post by Ivan Fuller »

Sorry this is off topic. If you use Outlook/Outlook Express for your mail its easy to shrink pictures. Select one or several pictures. Right click/send to/mail recipient. (As the pictures are attached to your email you can select resolution - I just use default). You now have an email ready to send with low resolution pictures attached. Right click one of the attachments/select all/copy. You can paste then wherever you want. :)
'58 Speedster
'65 911
revivem.co.nz

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#25 Post by Bruce Smith »

Bruce Smith

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#26 Post by Jay Wiener »

I actually no saled my 55 Pre A speedster #s matching. There's actually a writeup that mentions the car in this month's magazine