356A soiled oatmeal tunnel carpet

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Moses
356 Fan

356A soiled oatmeal tunnel carpet

#1 Post by Mike Moses »

Help with any ideas out there. I own a mint 57 356A that hasn’t been driven since spring 2019. I do start it occasionally and move it in the garage. I went out to the car and found the oatmeal white/beige tunnel carpet
soiled with brown stains all over and it was caked on under the seat slide rails that are screwd into the tunnel. The car starts and runs fine with no gas smell and the brakes are fine as well with the brake reservoir near full. I did steam clean the carpet but the stains won’t come out. The tunnel carpet is trashed and ordered a new piece from Autos International that originally did the interior in 1998. But before I put the new piece back in I need to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Any ideas? No fuel smell and no brake fluid loss. My nephews coming over next week with his boroscope that has a camera to look at the inside of the tunnel. Back in 2018 I had a Porsche restoration shop drain the tank and rebuild the petcock because there was a light drip inside the car so I put a rag under it to catch in gas drips.
Attachments
IMG_6171.jpeg
IMG_6172.jpeg
IMG_6156.jpeg
IMG_6157.jpeg

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: 356A soiled oatmeal tunnel carpet

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

I'm guessing humidity leading to rust. How is the jute on top of the aluminum tunnel cover?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

John Hawkins
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Hawkins »

It looks like moisture got under the seat rail. Did you spill your coffee? A good rust remover, made for fabric, should remove the rust stains. I used Whink "Rust Stain Remover" with excellent results on a rusted toolkit bag. You can buy it at most hardware stores like Ace. I poured the rust remover into a large, glass, baking dish and soaked it overnight or longer. Worked like a charm.
John
Whink Rust reover.jpg

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

I agree, water. The rust stain remover might eat the carpet but it’s certainly worth a try, you have nothing to lose.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

John Hawkins
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Hawkins »

Martin Benade wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:50 pm I agree, water. The rust stain remover might eat the carpet but it’s certainly worth a try, you have nothing to lose.
Actually the rust remover is fabric safe.
John

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

I've used it as well on tool bags.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

I wondered if wool might be different from other fabrics, but I have no experience with it.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Moses
356 Fan

#8 Post by Mike Moses »

It would be a mortal sin to bring a liquid like coffee or pop in my car. I bought the car just after it was restored in 1998. Liquid in the car never happened but thanks anyway.