Oil Filter Change Frequency

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Marcus van Bers
356 Fan

Oil Filter Change Frequency

#1 Post by Marcus van Bers »

It has always been my practice to change the oil filter every time I do an oil change. However, in reading through other threads on oil changes, oil issues, etc I get the impression that not everyone changes their oil filter when they do an oil change. I am curious if this is a common practice with others or if there are just a few outliers that do this?

And if you don't change the filter every time you do an oil change, how often do you change the filter and do you still suck the oil out of the canister that remains when you drain the oil.
63 B Karmann Coupe

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Oil Filter Change Frequency

#2 Post by David Jones »

I have always changed the filter every other oil change and I always remove the filter canister to clean it out. It is not difficult to remove and is just as quick as using a turkey baster which can be messy.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Ned Hamlin
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ned Hamlin »

As with David, I change the filter every other annual oil change. I remove the filter and I'm one of those who sucks the oil out with a turkey baster. Fortunately, I only put about 1000 miles on my driver per year and the Swepco never gets very dirty..
Ned Hamlin
'64 Bali Blue coupe
'65 Togo Brown SC
'58 Ruby Speedster
'65 Dolphin Grey coupe
'63 Carrera 2 coupe

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison/Yogi Berra

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#4 Post by Jim Liberty »

Oil and filters are CHEAP, motors are not, I change the filter every time. ............Jim.
Jim Liberty

James Overstreet
356 Fan
Tag: Newbie
Instagram: @uncool_niece

#5 Post by James Overstreet »

How about the sump plate?

How often do we pull that off? :lol:
'56 356A 1600 normal coupe, and way too many old 2T motorcycles.

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dave Erickson »

I pull the sump plate every oil change. Then I look at the iron dust attracted by the magnets and thoroughly clean them. I added a pair of extremely strong magnets to the inside of the sump plate. Strong enough that they hold up my ⅜ ratchet when I am loosening the nuts.

James Overstreet
356 Fan
Tag: Newbie
Instagram: @uncool_niece

#7 Post by James Overstreet »

Dave Erickson wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:17 pm I added a pair of extremely strong magnets to the inside of the sump plate. Strong enough that they hold up my ⅜ ratchet when I am loosening the nuts.
Smart!
'56 356A 1600 normal coupe, and way too many old 2T motorcycles.

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#8 Post by Harlan Halsey »

When my 1962 356B S was a daily driver, I used to change the 10W40 Quaker State about every 1200 miles and the filter every 10,000 miles. These days I change the 15W50 Mobil 1 every 2,000 miles and the filter every 10,000 miles. When I change the filter, I clean out the canister. None of my filter canisters leak. (I still have the 1962 1600S bottom end, the pistons, cylinders, and heads, have been changed. Mileage is pushing 160,000. Engine bearings are still std.)
Note that the dirtier the filter gets, the finer it filters. The dirtier the filter gets, the greater the pressure drop across the filter. Draw your own conclusions.