Gold Platting on body emblems?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ben Sherman
356 Fan

Re: Gold Platting on body emblems?

#16 Post by Ben Sherman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:46 am

Well, Since I have 14K gold, I will plate some onto my "Speedster" emblem today and tell you what I get: a match; or mismatch. If somebody can tell me how to upload a picture, I'll show you the difference.
Ben Sherman

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#17 Post by Paul Hatfield » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:45 pm

Anyone have any new information regarding gold plating original emblems? Experiences either good or bad? Seems a shame to toss out the originals.
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Rainer Cooney
356 Fan

#18 Post by Rainer Cooney » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:37 pm

As I understand it it's more of matching the color. I've got a jewelry shop casting and plating some Spyder emblems for me and I had also provided a good original Porsche emblem for them to match the gold finish. The plater told me the original gold came in at 18 carat and this is the finish he'll be doing on the Spyder emblems. I have a copy of the original factory drawing for the Spyder emblem ( thanks Joris) and while they do specify the surface finish before plating there is no call-out for the actual plating other than " bright gold" on the face. The sides are listed as "matt finish " and the backs are ground flat after casting.

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#19 Post by Steve Harrison » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:16 am

Here’s a link to an old thread about gold plating.
I had a great experience with the company I used,...as my post in the thread reflects.
I have no idea if they are still doing this level of work or even if they are still around.
But at the time, it was the best work around, and the emblems are still as bright and perfect as the day they were returned to me.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36870&hilit=Gold+pl ... ontinental