snaps on jump seats in 65' cabriolet

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Richard Milstead
356 Fan

Re: snaps on jump seats in 65' cabriolet

#16 Post by Richard Milstead »

Wil,
Thanks for responding but what I was talking about would be two small leather or vinyl straps with a snap at one end which are somehow affixed to the back wall. Their use is to snap onto the jump seat using the snap that you are referring to in the top center of the back to hold the seat back up. I believe all Cabs (T6 and later, at least) had those snaps located in the center of the seat back for the top boot to snap to (as Tim shows).
The straps I was referring to offered by Stoddard and supposedly used on "late '65" Cabs are shown on their site (link below):

http://www.stoddard.com/catalogsearch/r ... 522.063.40

I believe that if your Cab had these you would recognize them. If it doesn't, could it be they were introduced after Jan 1965 (i.e. "ultra" late production Cabs)?

Dick Milstead
Dick Milstead

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#17 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Richard Milstead wrote:Wil,
Thanks for responding but what I was talking about would be two small leather or vinyl straps with a snap at one end which are somehow affixed to the back wall. Their use is to snap onto the jump seat using the snap that you are referring to in the top center of the back to hold the seat back up. I believe all Cabs (T6 and later, at least) had those snaps located in the center of the seat back for the top boot to snap to (as Tim shows).
The straps I was referring to offered by Stoddard and supposedly used on "late '65" Cabs are shown on their site (link below):

http://www.stoddard.com/catalogsearch/r ... 522.063.40

I believe that if your Cab had these you would recognize them. If it doesn't, could it be they were introduced after Jan 1965 (i.e. "ultra" late production Cabs)?
Dick Milstead
Dick -
Being unfamiliar with such straps per my C cab and on other C cabs, I have no additional comments relative to my prior posts.
- Wil

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#18 Post by Brad Ripley »

Here is the original entry in the Porsche Price Liste for the strap mentioned above.

90152206340 RETAINING BELT 4 N 13.65Y

Note the prefix of 901 !

End of this story. PS, the "N" means it is No Longer Available (NLA).

Richard Milstead
356 Fan

#19 Post by Richard Milstead »

Wil, Brad,
Thanks for responding. I guess I go back to my initial comments to Susan which was that they (i.e. Porsche) didn't provide straps to hold up the jump seat backs in C Cabriolets. That leaves one still unresolved issue, the "rubber strap" shown in the C parts manual (644.802.152.41) that appears to be something like a bungee cord. I've never seen one, has anybody else?
Dick Milstead
Dick Milstead

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#20 Post by Brad Ripley »

The bungee existed. Here the price list entry

64480215241 CROSS STRUT 4 N 3.11Y P

Strange, it has a 41 suffix indicating Roadster.

Richard Milstead
356 Fan

#21 Post by Richard Milstead »

Brad,
According to the C parts book suppliment (which I finally dug out) these were for Coupes, Cabs, and Carrera 2s and two were supplied with each car! I don't have the T6B suppliment available so I can't verify if they were or were not also called out there. Strange, but if specified for coupes then they had nothing to do with the snaps on the top of the jump seats as coupes definitely didn't have those. Now with many more coupes out there than Cabs, I renew the question has anyone ever seen these original with a 356C/SC coupe?

My initial feeling is that I doubt that anybody has and priced or not they were not a standard offering and weren't part of the accessories program either. Maybe the "41" suffix is a giveaway that they were really intended for the rarest of the rare, the C/SC Roadster! Or do you just think those "Old Guys" at the Factory are messing with our minds again?

I hereby declare the quest for the mythical seat retainer for C/SC Cabs to be officially at an end. They never made such.

Thanks to all who have put up with this excursion into escoteric Porsche details.

Dick Milstead
Escoteric Detail Guru
Dick Milstead

Charlie White
356 Fan

#22 Post by Charlie White »

I think Dick has got it right!

CW
Charlie White

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#23 Post by Brad Ripley »

And when I find one of these, a repro will be forthcoming.

Jay Aldeguer
356 Fan

#24 Post by Jay Aldeguer »

Sorry to have to revive this thread but I'd like to know if the snaps found on top of the rear folding seats were found as well on the T5 cabriolets?

Thanks.

Jay
Check out some of my 356 and early Porsche photos @aircooledph on Instagram

Tim Herman
356 Fan

#25 Post by Tim Herman »

Jay, the answer is YES
Tim Herman #2197
www.carreramotorsport.com

Jay Aldeguer
356 Fan