Looking for an exploded view of a VJR 4 BR 18 distributor

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

Re: Looking for an exploded view of a VJR 4 BR 18 distributo

#16 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Brad Ripley wrote:
> Here is a drawing of a distributor common to the BR 18. I do not know of a
> drawing specific to the BR 18. Also enclosed is the parts list for this
> distributor in next post.
>
> You may find some other information in the Bosch Tradition website:
> http://www.automotive-tradition.de/en/w ... herche.htm First set up an
> account. Then look for Recording Tables to x-ref the old number to the
> 10-digit Bosch number. Then put that number into Spare Parts List where you
> will find spare part numbers.

All

I had difficulty in finding the old bailing wire distributor cap clips for the BRS 383, item 74, in the illustration. I suppose this search to be as challenging as the search for the embossed washer that you can actually buy "loose". Just recently I needed another set--could not find or find anyone to part with any, so I made my own. I can now offer a complete set comprising item 74 [2], item 75a, item 75b, item 41 [2] and item 40 [2]. Items 74, 75a and 75b are finished in black oxide and items 40 and 41 are Zn plated. Items 40 and 41 can be furnished in black oxide as well as I have seen some BRS distributors that had these mounted.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#17 Post by Mike Horton »

"At nearly $50 for the repair kit that is short one of these essential washers leaves one thinking..."what is the message that Bosch is sending"--or should I say has been sending for quite a few years now."

+1... Amen, Ab!

Mike (acting curmudgeon)
Mike

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#18 Post by Ron LaDow »

Mike and Ab,
(Sorry I missed your earlier post, Mike)
I bought them as part of the kit. Give Ed a call; maybe he's got 'em separately.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#19 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Mike, Ron, et. al.

Does this mean that the "waffle" pattern washer is not available seperately or is it available, but not being sold separately, or only sold with a distributor rebuild by a rebuilder that has the part separately.

It seems that you cannot get a straight answer for many of the questions posed here on the talk especially those that leave the door ajar for some speculation.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#20 Post by Brad Ripley »

What are the dimensions of the "Waffle Pattern" washer everyone is looking for? And/or, What is the callout number in the above illustration?

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#21 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

The waffle pattern washer is #25 in the illustration. From the parts list it is called a fiber washer. The dimensions in mm are 12.5 x 21.5 x 0.8. The order number is WNS 31/3X. The color has varied over the last 9 years, but the waffle pattern and thickness remained the same. This is the washer which Bosch supplies only one in the kit. Two are required for assembly although it has been mentioned that used ones were preferred by some rebuilders due to the initial wear

Another part I am interested in--and perhaps others as well is #27 in the illustration. In the parts list it is called a fiber washer as well. This may be a misnomer because it appears to be a resin reinforced cloth because you can see the pattern in the ones supplied in the current Bosch kit$. The dimensions in mm are 17.2 x 25.2 x 1.0. The order number is WNS 416/8X.

It would also be helpful if there was a source for the correct thickness of the insulating washer #22 that is installed over the sliding surface/damping plate, #20 in the illustration. The order number given in the parts list for #22 is WNS 11Z29X. Although no dimensions are given, it could be easily measured. Part number 22 in the current Bosch kit$ is .5 mm thick and is red.

order number corrected for part #27 on 20 June 2013
Last edited by Albert Tiedemann on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#22 Post by Joris Koning »

FWIW I am having a small run of item #79 made. The originals style ones have not been available for years. Only a cosmetic problem but I like things to be as exact as possible on my cars. These were also used on the 4-cam cars depending on year and distributor configuration
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Sterling Vaden
356 Fan
Tag: Where is everybody going?

#23 Post by Sterling Vaden »

Anybody know what this part is?

NLA 602 301 02

http://www.stoddard.com/nla-602-301-02-bushing.html

Advertised as a distributor drive shaft bushing.
15.90 mm Outside Diameter
12.49 mm Inside Diameter
15.84 mm Tall

I'm not aware of a bushing in the cover for the distributor drive.

Will this replace the bushings in the 022 and 031 distributors, or is it different?
SV
356*D = 912
http://picasaweb.google.com/456311

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#24 Post by Brad Ripley »

Since Sterling brought up the bushings for the 022, below is another exploded view of the 022 distributor along with a parts listing of key parts. Note, bushings normally must be pressed in place and then reamed/honed to size.
Attachments
Distr 022 parts.jpg
Distr 022 parts list.jpg

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#25 Post by Mike Horton »

Thanks, Brad, I too have the new bushing in my parts box, and it is the same part number. Brad's parts breakdown does show the three locations of the fiber, and metal shims, with the fiber shims facing the cast iron body, on each end of the drive shaft. Brad, that breakdown is close to the 061, the vacuum retard distributor for the '68/'69 U.S. spec 912, except for the upper, larger shims, which are used in the BR18, & 022 (& other cast iron units). As Brad says, correct installation would likely require a piloted reamer, to assure parallel alignment, and no angular friction. If anyone finds the fiber shims available separately, please let us know... Thanks!
I too have detected a difference in the thickness of the fiber shims from the originals, but it is adjustable with the differing thickness metal shims included in the kit,
Mike
Mike

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#26 Post by Brad Ripley »

There's more to rebuilding distributors than first meets to eye. Although we have have all these Bosch numbers and shim kits available, I strongly suggest proper rebuilding and testing be left to guys like John Jenkins, Ab Tiederman, Glenn Ring, Ed Fall. A Sun or Allen distributor testing machine is absolutely necessary to do the job.

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#27 Post by Mike Horton »

+1

"A Sun or Allen distributor testing machine is absolutely necessary to do the job."

...therein lies the required time invested to gain the "experience" to know what message the machine offers about the finished product... my 88 year old Dad says, "the only problem with experience, is the price you pay to attain it"...
Mike (I have such a machine)
Mike

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#28 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Rebuilders
I have a 4 lobe master that fits my one off cam grinder to regrind the lobes that actuates the points any interest?
j

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#29 Post by Joris Koning »

Jacques,

I had the cam on one of my cam drive distributors wear out. I for sure would be interested in some.

Cheers,

J.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

#30 Post by Mike Ruddy »

Ed Fall gets my vote... and I'm in the UK !

I've had a go at rebuilding distributors myself and I've had distributors rebuilt by people who claim to know what they're doing. :shock:

With Ed the turnaround is quick and despite having to pay transatlantic shipping, tax and handling I know then that whatever else the problems might be, the distributor is not one of them. :)

Mike.