Problem with Steering Coupler on a B Coupe

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Pat Daily
356 Fan

#16 Post by Pat Daily »

Here is an update on the steering coupler. I took the car back to the local Porsche dealer and they thought the upper bearing was bad and ordered a replacement. It turned out the bearing was ok and the culprit was the new steering coupler itself -- it was not a Porsche part after all and was so flexible it let the driver pull the wheel towards him. They replaced the coupler with a new "good coupler" and it solved the problem and now Fast Frieda is back home and there was no charges! God looks out for Irishmen!

I also want to thank all of you who made suggestions--I printed them out and gave them to the Porsche mechanic--he has worked on several 356s, is over 45 and readily admitted he didn't have a clue about the steering column. I think your suggestions helped. I was expecting to have to pay about $300 for a new bearing plus labor (approximately $600) and got by with a great big Zero! Man, the wine is good tonight!
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda") 

Brian Doody
356 Fan

#17 Post by Brian Doody »

Just as an addendum to this thread, another reason for side to side play on the steering column is that the steering column tube has slipped downwards inside the steering wheel mount ( up under the indicator stalk). There is an allen-headed pinch bolt in there which keeps both of these parts together, the adjustment is that the inner tube should be 6.5mm below the outer edge just behind the steering wheel. If it has slipped the spring and collar on the steering wheel wont contact the bearing at all - hence the play.
Brian.
Brian Doody
Galway
Ireland

63 356 BT6 S90 Coupe

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#18 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

The round coupler and the square coupler with round ends differ in thickness by 2 mm. If the square one with round ends were [subjunctive mood] fit, the steering wheel would be about 2mm closer to you chest.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"