Seat hinge restoration

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
ed martin
356 Fan

Seat hinge restoration

#1 Post by ed martin »

Just wondering how hard is it to take the seat hinges apart to rechrome. The hinges are for a C. In particular, that main spring, to get it back on. Difficult? Actually, I'm sure getting it apart is not the problem, but reassembling. :?:

Ashley Page
356 Fan

#2 Post by Ashley Page »

I always hear how hard this operation is. When I took mine apart for re-finishing I put it back together again (a couple of times), including the dreded spring, to see what I was up against. I found it to not be a big deal at all. I used a pair of plires to put the spring back in place.

I have pictures of the disassembly and also put together.

Maybe I am missing something but this is not a big deal.

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#3 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Ed

Ashley is correct. The seat hinges in his 356C are pretty easy to disassemble and reassemble. His hinges are for a 64 356C. Unfortunately, you did not state the year of your car. If your car is a 65 year model, your hinges are quite different than Ashley's and are both, much more fragile and and more difficult to dissasemble and reassemble. The classic problem with the 65 hinges is the fact that they will suddenly ratchet back and leave the seat's occupant staring at the headliner. Luckily, It is more prevalent with the passenger seat than with the drivers seat. Ron Ladow of Precision Matters fame has developed a fix for the problem. It is very scientificly called a "popper stopper".

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jim Nelson »

Many years ago, in my '65 C, I contemplated whether this was Dr. Porsche's subtle contribution to my dating activities.....