356A T2 exhaust

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Etienne Kerkhoffs
356 Fan

356A T2 exhaust

#1 Post by Etienne Kerkhoffs »

Does anyone know if this exhaust will fit a 356A T2? It is stamped with 'BOYSEN'.

Thanks, Etienne

Etienne Kerkhoffs
1958 356A T2 Sunroof Coupe

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#2 Post by Brad Ripley »

Yes with modifications. That's an industrial muffler. The carb. pre-heat ports will have to be cut and welded and some sort of extensions for the exit pipes are needed.

Etienne Kerkhoffs
356 Fan

#3 Post by Etienne Kerkhoffs »

Thanks Brad,

So now and then I see an item like industrial exhaust or industrial engine (tin). Could you tell me what this means?

Etienne
Etienne Kerkhoffs

Jerry Henning
356 Fan

Boysen Industrial Mufflers

#5 Post by Jerry Henning »

These are indeed industrial engine exhaust silencers. As mentioned, the carburetor preheat flanges need to be removed and the holes welded over. The preheat tubes protrude into the exhaust pipes a short ways, so these should be drilled out and removed to prevent any restrictions in the exhaust pipes.

Boysen is an OEM manufacturer and supplier of German auto parts, such as mufflers for BMWs. The large bracket in the center of the muffler where the BOYSEN name is stamped is the mounting bracket for the hand crank pivot bearing for the hand starter on the industrial engine. The dimensions of this muffler are slightly different from stock, so if you are running a Pre-Mat full flow oil filter, there is very little to no clearance between the muffler and the filter bracket.

I have one of these that came on my Type 616/33-1 1700cc industrial engine that I am converting to go into my VW Type 181 (The Thing). I had it ceramic coated for long life and good looks. The only thing I havent figured out is how to create the S-pipes so the exhaust tips exit the original holes on the Type 181 bumper, but I will figure that out when I have everything re-assembled. The same would apply to creating S-pipes for a 356A. Or you could perhaps use chrome tubing and come out Sport Muffler or Carrera style.

The muffler appears to be very high quality construction. I ran across a source for these mufflers a few years ago and have a few extras of them squirreled away for personal future projects.

Jerry Henning
Atlanta GA
1962 356B-T6 Cab under major rustoration
1973 Vorsche Type 181 also under restoration

Etienne Kerkhoffs
356 Fan

#6 Post by Etienne Kerkhoffs »

Ok, now I know what it means. I'll go for a 'normal' new 356a T2 exhaust from one of our vendors. Thanks for this interesting lesson.
Etienne Kerkhoffs

Ken Daugherty
356 Fan

356A T2 exhaust

#7 Post by Ken Daugherty »

There is a gyrodyne on display hanging above the hangar deck of
the Yorktown at Charleston SC.
The Porsche engine was recognized noted by several at the 2002 Holiday.
Wonder which one it is and if the
list of survivors can be updated to include that one.

Ken Daugherty
kend356@insightbb.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 11:07 AM
To: 356talk@356registry.com
Subject: [356Talk] 356A T2 exhaust

http://www.356a.com/industrial.htm

http://www.gyrodynehelicopters.com/qh-50a_models1.htm

meker

-------------------- m2f --------------------

To contact an administrator admin@356registry.com
To unsubscribe go to http://www.356registry.com/forum/m2f_usercp.php
Read this topic online here:
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 3940#13940

-------------------- m2f --------------------

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Ken Daugherty

Jerry Henning
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jerry Henning »

A bit off topic for the initial thread started, but no need to start a new thread . . .

The links above regarding the Gyrodyne Helicopter:
Michael Branning of the 356 Southern Owners Group snapped some cool photos of this Helicopter and they are on our web site at:
http://web.mac.com/mbranning/SOG_Photos ... opter.html

By the way, in the photos, the craft is incorrectly referred to as a Gyrocopter, of which the Gyrodyne was not.
A gyrocopter has an un-powered rotary lifting wing (blades) and an engine powered thrust propeller, typically using a normal horizontal shaft engine.

A helicopter has an engine powered rotary lifting wing (blades) and typically a vertical (or near vertical) shaft engine, such as this very unusual and specially designed beauty by Porsche. Note that the QH-50a actually has dual counter-rotating blades, which cancel the tendancy for the craft to spin in a circle. This counter-rotating arrangement does not require a tail rotor for stabiltiy and control.

Jerry Henning