Race day photo

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Andrew Hosking
356 Fan

Race day photo

#1 Post by Andrew Hosking »

I am helping someone with the provenance of her father's spyders and from a shoebox of photos, she sent me this one which I think is a classic...

http://type550.com/

Alex Parmenter
356 Fan

Re: Race day photo

#2 Post by Alex Parmenter »

Andrew,

Thanks for posting, a fantastic shot!! The Barndoor single cab would be worth a few $ now as well. 8)
Always searching for parts for my Oct 54 Pre A coupe including these:
2 piece engine case to #336XX
Gear knob
Front bumper
Passenger sun visor
Bosch SH/ZS4/1 Ignition switch
Vigot jack (late 54)

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jim Karaba »

Wow an America roadster. Even rarer than a spyder. Looks like her father was involved with some pretty rare cars at the right times. Too cool.

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#4 Post by Steve Raucher »

Rare indeed!
I think only 16 or 17 were made all in aluminum except one that Hoffman quickly bought.
Dad back in the '70's owned the ex Josie Von Newman #42 car,now Road Scholars in NC have it along with #17 Gumund Coupe dad restored in the '80's.
Steve
'58 Speedster

Andrew Hosking
356 Fan

#5 Post by Andrew Hosking »

Unfortunately the roadster wasn't his, but he went from a RS550 to a 550A to a 718RSK - all new out of the crate, which I have photos of!

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#6 Post by Brad Ripley »

Andrew, In your first photo, who is the guy in the truck? Where did you get the photo?

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#7 Post by Adam Wright »

Andrew, do you mean a crate like this one?

http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/1 ... ilit=crate
Attachments
spyder-pano.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#8 Post by Craig Richter »

Andrew,
Did you used to live in San Marino? I knew your brother, and your Dad showed us (the car club guys) his Spyders often. I still vividly remember Don in his black '57 Chevy laying a 40-yard "patch" in front of Figueroa's house on Oxford Road. Those were wonderful days!
Craig

Andrew Hosking
356 Fan

#9 Post by Andrew Hosking »

HI Craig,

I have pretty much lived down under in Oz most of my life. I know there was an Albert Hosking who raced a 550 at Santa Barbara in '55 - still trying to work out if he is a long lost Uncle!

Adam - this is how his 550A was delivered...

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#10 Post by Steve Harrison »

Another great picture Andrew. TV antennas,..wooden ladder,..and a new 550 in what would likely (barely) pass these days as a mulch trailer. What a crazy ramp angle eh? Ya gotta love the crinkle cut picture edges and period date stamp as well. What a cool shot. With all the pampering most 550's get these days, kinda makes you wonder if the car itself misses the days when it was "just a sports car",.. to be driven,...

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#11 Post by Craig Richter »

Andrew,
Karen Hosking? Her father was Albert Taylor Hosking. 2 Spyders driven by Jean Pierre Kunstler and Cy Yetter. Their best effort was a win at the Bahama Speed Week. The Hosking family was from Pasadena before moving to Oxford Road S.M. He owned, at one time, the Pasadena Star News. Are we on the right track for long-lost uncle Al? If so, more to come...
Craig

Andrew Hosking
356 Fan

#12 Post by Andrew Hosking »

Brad,

I just found out that Paul Sagan was a VW/Porsche dealer, who had his dealership at 350 Uniondale Ave., Uniondale, NY. His daughter remembers he had the roadster, but it was in the showroom to sell. The photo would have been taken 55/56

Last edited by Andrew Hosking on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Hosking
356 Fan

#13 Post by Andrew Hosking »

HI Craig,

I hope I am related - it must be in my blood to love 550s so much! If you have any more info on Albert or if you can get Karen to contact me at spyder @ type550.com I would love to know anything about Uncle Albert's spyders

thanks Andrew

Ronald Roland
356 Fan

#14 Post by Ronald Roland »

Sorry to be a little late ringing in on this. But I thought I would include it for posterity - those interested in America Roadsters.
I was doing some research for a guy and this VW Transporter with AR picture came up. I saw this photo a number of years ago and wondered which Roadster it could be. Looked an awful lot like 10465 (#2) but the bumpers were back on it. Could be #1, 10455, only other Roadster with that body configuration. Couldn't tell who the VW - Porsche dealer was. Now the picture shows that it was Paul Sagen, Uniondale, NY. Paul Sagen is the confirmed third owner of 10465, having bought it from John Bentley. The paint scheme doesn't look like the yellow with green wheels that had raced with, but if the car was for resale perhaps it was repainted Light Radium Green. Very interesting.
Thanks,
Ron Roland

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#15 Post by Jay Wiener »

my VW type 2 is a double cab; so sadly my 550, rsk, etc won't fit. But I have hauled my 4 cam motor!