200 mm clutch is a Pre A, Help needed

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Gary Hadden
356 Fan

200 mm clutch is a Pre A, Help needed

#1 Post by Gary Hadden »

I know this has been covered before but I am having trouble finding it in the archive. I have a 53 with a 63 sc motor. It has a 200 mm clutch and I can't seem to get it set up right. The Sachs clutch has M200 stamped on it. I don't even know if it is the right one. Any advice?
Gary

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

Wrong clutch setup?

#2 Post by Dick Weiss »

Gary,

If you have an early flat-faced release bearing on your existing 519-original transmission, the face of the bearing won't coinside w/the 200mm P/plate's fingertips; your bearing(?) must contact the early-type 6 (or 9) spring P/plate's face ring attached on the 3-release levers; a face ring could be fitted to the later diapham/plate-spring on a 200mm version, but mostly the 180mm had them until the guided realease bearing is used on some of the late 716- and all of the 741-transmissions BUT--the real problem is the possible breakage of the diapham spring cracking or breaking due to NOT having a pedal stop to prevent overtravel of the P/plates's realeasing the disc; I'm assuming your pre-A (as all of 'em) doesn't, unless you changed transmissions.

Dick