T6 "Rear window demister"

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Elliot Toler-Scott
356 Fan

T6 "Rear window demister"

#1 Post by Elliot Toler-Scott »

I've noticed that on some T6 coupes I've worked on lately that there is a hollow steel hoop, with holes drilled in it that runs off the open heater pipes off the rear/side bulkheads. It loops up topping out at just under the bottom of the rear screen. I assume that this is a rudimentary rear screen demister. Does anyone know if this was an optional extra or standard equipment-my C coupe with Euro heat setup does not have it but has the open tubes it would attach to. Thanks much for any insight.
Elliot in Seattle

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: T6 "Rear window demister"

#2 Post by Ron LaDow »

Eliot,
The (several) US-spec C coupes I've owned have two 'vents' at the lower corners of the rear light. I had a T6B that seemed to have a series of 'nozzles' across the bottom of the rear light, but that was long ago.
Pretty sure neither was an option, since either one of them required inclusion from early in the fabrication.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#3 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Yup, Ron is correct, the C coupes were the only cars with these while T-6's had several little holes along the tube.

Neither one setup worked anyway. If your car has been re-upholstered then they may very well have been left out, OR, the Euro heat cars perhaps did not come with them.

If that is the case it is a shame as they would have worked pretty well with that system.

Regards,
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Brad Ripley »

Coupe thru T-6 had the perforated tube; see #65 in the drawing below. Early 911 had a similar set up. The C coupes had the nozzles in each corner of the window.
Attachments
Rear window heat.jpg

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

#5 Post by Alex Mestas »

vent 2.jpg
Here is the perforated tube Brad depicted on a T-6
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Steve Hatfield
356 Fan

#6 Post by Steve Hatfield »

Alex Mestas wrote:
vent 2.jpg
Here is the perforated tube Brad depicted on a T-6
My '63 Karmann coupe, 211685 has this and it works. But as Jim Kellog points out in his later book, you need to tape up the lower set of holes to make the upper set put out any meaningful air.
Steve
Steve Hatfield
Fort Walton Beach, FL
'63 S90 Sunroof Coupe
'06 997S Coupe

Matt Kreeve
356 Fan
Tag: truckin' on

#7 Post by Matt Kreeve »

Hi Folks - I found this small pipe in the large longitudinal heater pipe - is it related to this de-mister?
And if so is there an on/off lever or is it controlled effectively by the heater box lever being open or not?
Attachments
SmartSelectImage_2017-08-11-07-16-07.png
Currently working on two nut+bolt resto's in Cape Town
'56 A RHD 5606 Silver Met) over Green - delivered Nairobi (Cooper Motor Corp)
'64 C RHD 6406 (Irisgrun) w Fawn (rehbraun) - delivered Johannesburg (Lindsay Saker)

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#8 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Matt The smaller pipe may indeed be for the rear demister. Is so it would at some point leave the main heater tube. Here is a picture of a US heater system tube leaving to go to the demister.
Attachments
Karmaan defroster tube.jpg
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#9 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Sebastian This Euro heat car http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-p ... c-coupe-2/ recently sold by a Registry Member has the typical C demister and per engine # would have been Euro heat from the factory.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Matt Kreeve
356 Fan
Tag: truckin' on

#10 Post by Matt Kreeve »

thanks Doug - will have another look for that - very kind!
Currently working on two nut+bolt resto's in Cape Town
'56 A RHD 5606 Silver Met) over Green - delivered Nairobi (Cooper Motor Corp)
'64 C RHD 6406 (Irisgrun) w Fawn (rehbraun) - delivered Johannesburg (Lindsay Saker)

Leo Dreisilker
356 Fan

#11 Post by Leo Dreisilker »

Elliot, When I dismantled my 62 T6B Coupe I remember the lower holes were taped on each side and did not know why. I thing the tape was green in color.
Nice question and I will ask my resto shop some questions about the taping and how it all works.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Mike Wilson »

My experience was the same as Leo's. The "tape" was more like a small wale green corduroy with the ends wrapped with it fitting snuggly into the rubber hoses. Taping the bottom of the tube would be more effective to direct the air upward. Interesting that the tube was drilled all the way through rather than on just one side.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jon Schmid »

Sebastian Gaeta wrote:
Neither one setup worked anyway. If your car has been re-upholstered then they may very well have been left out, OR, the Euro heat cars perhaps did not come with them.

If that is the case it is a shame as they would have worked pretty well with that system.
That explains the two funny looking things lurking under my P.O. redone interior on my 356C Coupe with the Euro heating system that they or another P.O. (I'm the fourth owner) removed at some point. So, based on that I would say the Euro systems also had the vents at each lower corner. Maybe someday as a result of a restoration they can come back into play and then we'll see if they work.