Removing (disk brake) rear wheel hub

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Hayes
356 Fan

Removing (disk brake) rear wheel hub

#1 Post by Jim Hayes »

I am having trouble removing the rear wheel hub from the axle shaft on a 64 SC (disk brake) coupe. (After some difficulty, I was able to remove the axle nut.)
According to my shop manual, "remove wheel hub by slightly tapping it with a rubber mallet or the like."
Well the rubber mallet did nothing. I currently have a craftsman 6 inch 3 jaw puller clamped to the hub (OD about 6 inches) tight enough that I'm getting worried I might break the outside edge of the hub.
Continue tightening the puller? or am I missing something? Help please.
(I attempted to find this in the archives)

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

Re: Removing (disk brake) rear wheel hub

#2 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Jim Hayes wrote:I am having trouble removing the rear wheel hub from the axle shaft on a 64 SC (disk brake) coupe. (After some difficulty, I was able to remove the axle nut.)
According to my shop manual, "remove wheel hub by slightly tapping it with a rubber mallet or the like."
Well the rubber mallet did nothing. I currently have a craftsman 6 inch 3 jaw puller clamped to the hub (OD about 6 inches) tight enough that I'm getting worried I might break the outside edge of the hub.
Continue tightening the puller? or am I missing something? Help please.
(I attempted to find this in the archives)
Jim

You did remove the brake caliper, didn't you? Sorry, I had to ask. You probably have a bit of rust in the splines between the hub and rear axle. Loosen the puller but not all the way and tap on the hub with a brass or even steel hammer. It should come off fairly easily. A rubber mallet is useless, in this case.

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Jim Hayes
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jim Hayes »

Jim, thanks for the help.
The prpblem was some rust on the axle splines. When you are doing something like this for the first time, it's comforting to have this forum. The suggestion to loosen the puller a bit, and hammer a little more provided results.
(and yes, the calipers were off.)

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

A little heat never hurts either.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.