356 engine cases

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Griff Snyder
356 Fan

356 engine cases

#1 Post by Griff Snyder »

Hi, I am new to this forum as a registered member, I have been lurking for a while and am really impressed with the information posted here. my name is Griff and have been driving and working on Porsche cars for many years.

I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer. On the 1956/57 Porsche motor cases some have "Made in Germany" embossed under the motor numbers and some do not Does anyone know at what time in production they started using the Made in Germany? The reason I ask is I am restoring a mid 56 Porsche and have two motors to choose from and want to put the most correct on in the car.

Any information would be really appreciated,
Boardrider, G K Snyder
Purchased my 1st Porsche Speedster in 1967 and have owned at least one ever since.

S.J. Szabo

#2 Post by S.J. Szabo »

Mr. Snyder:

Perhaps a better approach would be something like this:

1. Check the case casting dates and choose the one that is closest to say, two months or so before the actual/presumed assembly date of the car.

2. Check The List and extrapolate the closest engine no. for your car.

3. Pop for a COA and use the eng. closest to the actual orig. eng. no.

4. Harry Pellow had a chart in one of his books that estimated the orig. eng. no.; choose the closest.

5. Put in a C case hotrod motor and drive the whee out of it.

Keep 'em flying.

Griff Snyder
356 Fan

#3 Post by Griff Snyder »

S.J, Thanks all great information and suggestions ,now if you don't mind I would like to ask a really stupid question. Where are the casting dates on the case? How are they coded or decifered?

I'm sure this information has been posted many times here but my search could not bring it up.

My last question is how important is it in the members of the forum minds that a 356 A have the correct series motor? That is assuming that the original numbered one is not available?

S.J. By the way I understand your idea about the "C" motor it does make sense.

Thanks again for the response and not flaming the new guy. Griff Snyder
Boardrider, G K Snyder
Purchased my 1st Porsche Speedster in 1967 and have owned at least one ever since.

Griff Snyder
356 Fan

#4 Post by Griff Snyder »

Thanks all for the responses, I have recieved several emails asking to forward any information that I might recieve regarding the date stamping of motor cases.

So please, does anyone out there know where, the cases are date stamped and is there any code to deciphering the stamps??? Does anyone know of any books magazines etc. that contain this information?

THANK S for any help in this matter. Griff Snyder
Boardrider, G K Snyder

S.J. Szabo

#5 Post by S.J. Szabo »

Mr. Snyder:

The case casting dates are found on the vertical face of the case halves near the cam bearing jounal in the area normally covered by the third piece.

On early cases, there will be a circle with two number pairs inside, looking very like a fraction. The top number will be the fiscal week (no, I don't know on what fiscal year it is based….I just assume calendar year) and the bottom numbers will be the year.

On late cases, there is a single pair of numbers for the year that is surrounded by a series of dots arranged in a circle. The number of dots indicates the month of casting.

Similar casting dates can be found on the heads (under the valve covers) and on some carbs.

Hope this helps.

Keep 'em flying.