Luggage Rack Mount Tabs

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Robert Braunsberger
356 Fan

Luggage Rack Mount Tabs

#1 Post by Robert Braunsberger »

I came across this very nice, original paint, Reutter luggage rack a while ago which seems to perfectly match my '56 T1 with plenty of patina.

When trying to fit it onto my car, I found out that there was no such thing as mounting tabs on the decklid. The lid has plenty of "sound dampening" spray on the inside, so I was not able to check out of it's matching numbers, however all the rest I have seen on this car so far, front lid hinge stamping, doors, hinge post fairings, engine, transmission, all numbers matching so I suspect the engine lid is matching numbers, too.

See attached picture - the area where the tabs were meant to be seems very tidy at all four corners. Original (and what's behind that?) or were the tabs cut away?

Cheers,
Robert
Attachments
cut away?
cut away?
nice rack
nice rack

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

Re: Luggage Rack Mount Tabs

#2 Post by Brad Ripley »

Your car is apparently too early to have the weld nuts pre-installed. Go to Charlie White's website for description of how the early Reutter racks were installed.

Your rack in the photo is drilled to accomodate single and twin grille cars -- made ofter 1961.

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#3 Post by Steve Harrison »

Hello Robert,
Would you happen to know if the aluminum grille has ever been removed from your deck lid? Curious if that's the way the slotted screws are put in by factory. (slot facing interior of engine bay)

steven mclean
356 Fan

#4 Post by steven mclean »

Steve my 55 screws are the other way around,screw on grill nut on deck lid Steven.

Robert Braunsberger
356 Fan

#5 Post by Robert Braunsberger »

Thanks for the help. Does anyone have information on what date Porsche started to make the lids with tabs included? My car #55541 is a very early '56, obviously very soon after the European" model.

I have noticed the same with the grille mount screws when taking the picture and reversed them. The car has been repainted, so the grille must have been off.

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#6 Post by Phil Planck »

Robert
I thought only PreAs had no provision for bolting on a luggage rack. Interesting that this carried into the A model. Years ago I bought an A engine lid in hopes that I could just bolt it on my PreA and be able to mount my newly acquired rack from the Toronto ECH swap meet. Well, the lid did not fit the opening well at all. I considered taking apart both lids and using the added A parts for the mount nuts, but at that time did not have the metal working skills I have now. Even now, it would be a major disection and the A lid is, maybe, in storage at Bill Block's house.
Phil Planck

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#7 Post by Larry Coreth »

As point of reference my '57 T-1 Speedster (mfg. late '56) has the mounting tabs on the engine lid. There's only P/N listed in the A parts book for coupe (Carrrera excepted) and another for the Cab. /Spdstr. However I expect that if the early lids were different a P/N change would not have been implemented as the lids would be completely interchangeable.
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC