early 911 registry

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: early 911 registry

#16 Post by Adam Wright »

S-
There must be something about Rochester. We drove up there a few years ago to look at a "restored" 912. Same thing, got there and the car was awful, over-spray on all the rubber on a very cheap paint job, the bottom of the gauges was rusty like the car had been underwater, and they guy said while driving you have to hold it in 3rd gear or it pops out. Restored my arse!
We did the same thing, walked, he said,
"You brought a trailer, I know you want to buy the car."

We said no, didn't make an offer, just drove away.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#17 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Adam Wright wrote: There must be something about Rochester.
Maybe the guy with the 912 is the same guy that inspected the 911 for me :shock:
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#18 Post by Adam Wright »

I hope not, the guy was nice enough, just had a very strange idea of what a restored car was, his son was very very creepy, like wake up chained to the radiator creepy.
Haven't been back to Rochester since then, it's like buying a 356 out of Chicago, you know it will be rusty!
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#19 Post by Jan Kolm »

Back around 1982 or 83 I went to look at a '70 or '71 911T north of Boston with a couple of people I worked with (one was thinking of buying it and he knew I had a 356). It was listed in the "Want ADvertiser" (a weekly ad magazine that was the place to find bargains in a 50-mile radius of Boston--long before Craigslist) and was cheap (around $2,700). The paint job was nice, the interior was in good shape (missing the radio though) and it had an engine. The strange thing was that it was parked about 4-6 inches from the car next to it. I had my suspicions and opening the door confirmed them when it fell onto the sill. It took two of us to close that door, with 134 lbs of me squeezing between the two cars in a cold drizzle. Needless to say, we walked away in a hurry.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Haig Haleblian
356 Fan

#20 Post by Haig Haleblian »

Hey now, enough about the shot to Chicago hosting rusty P cars. At least they're allowed to vote in elections. Sometimes twice in the same election.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#21 Post by Adam Wright »

This was the last car I bought in Chicago, we had to break down a wooden garage door to get to it, and it was frozen to the ground.
It speaks for itself.
Attachments
notch-ug.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#22 Post by Bob Forman »

I'm probably dragging this thread beyond the breaking point as I'm sure we all have stories of this nature and love to tell them, but here goes. In the mid 90's I worked near a Subaru dealer in Bellevue (WA) who had a mid-70's 911 Targa in front that was a dazzling dark green (from 40 feet). After a few months I eventually lost my nerve and went to look at it. $16,000. Got in, barely started, seats flat, wipers non-working, etc., etc. Coaxed it into the shop where I witnessed the cheapest respray ever known to man with the patina of rust easily visible under the paint. Before running to my car I asked if they were sure it wasn't $1600? No, they were quite proud of the one-owner car that was driven by the dealer's minister. Open Sundays after church.
Bob Forman

Russ Myers
356 Fan
Tag: Rock and roll shaped like a classic rod

#23 Post by Russ Myers »

Roy Lock wrote: LOL, as with all forums, if you allow annominity, i.e. handles, when logged on, WE all tend to say things that we may regret if we have to use our real names.

Thank the moderators of this forum for keeping forum civil. The members as a whole are also civil.

I know many of the guys in the 911S Registry in SoCal. By-and-large they are after the same goals as we are in the 356 Registry and are bunch of great guys.
I'm new on the 911 Registry, but I've met enough people from here to know that you're right.

That being said, I still wouldn't try to sell a car on there. ;)