101 cars you must drive

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

101 cars you must drive

#1 Post by Tom Tate »

Am I the only one that is rattled by this show? I like the idea, I think Alonzo is entertaining, and the cars are cool. Last month the host took us for a ride in a Speedster, relating the excitement of the ride saying that he always wanted one. He showed the spartan interior, the contours of the body and the thrill of the drive. He even mentioned that James Dean owned one. The problem was that it was a convertible D not a Speedster. What's a couple of roll up windows and a taller windscreen between friends?
This week he drove a 550 Spyder. Scanned the body lines and interior, showed the Dean photo in the gas station and talked about the sound of the four cam engine as he went up through the gears. Great stuff. Problem was that it was a Beck Spyder and the engine sounded like a 53 hp beetle motor. The body was fiberglass not aluminum and while it looked great it was a replica. In fairness the opening shot had a label on the screen that said Beck. Late in the ride Alonzo said that he loved driving the "tribute" Spyder.
Wouldn't you think that the real thing would be within the grasp of the producers? I'm glad that our pets made the list but I would think that the real thing would do a better job. Or am I just getting old? KTF

Jaime Jensen
356 Fan
Tag: Cruising in my late daddy's Speedster.
Instagram: @jaimejensensf

101 cars you must drive

#2 Post by Jaime Jensen »

I thought it was pretty cheap as well (both the D and the Spyder). This has turned me off on the program and it if officially off TiVo . . .

Stan

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Tom Tate <thomas.tate@opco.com (thomas.tate@opco.com)> wrote:
Am I the only one that is rattled by this show? I like the idea, I think Alonzo is entertaining, and the cars are cool. Last month the host took us for a ride in a Speedster, relating the excitement of the ride saying that he always wanted one. He showed the spartan interior, the contours of the body and the thrill of the drive. He even mentioned that James Dean owned one. The problem was that it was a convertible D not a Speedster. What's a couple of roll up windows and a taller windscreen between friends?
This week he drove a 550 Spyder. Scanned the body lines and interior, showed the Dean photo in the gas station and talked about the sound of the four cam engine as he went up through the gears. Great stuff. Problem was that it was a Beck Spyder and the engine sounded like a 53 hp beetle motor. The body was fiberglass not aluminum and while it looked great it was a replica. In fairness the opening shot had a label on the screen that said Beck. Late in the ride Alonzo said that he loved driving the "tribute" Spyder.
Wouldn't you think that the real thing would be within the grasp of the producers? I'm glad that our pets made the list but I would think that the real thing would do a better job. Or am I just getting old? KTF

------------------------
Tom Tate

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Jaime Jensen
'58 Speedster

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#3 Post by Brian R Adams »

I've only seen a few minutes of this show, and missed the premise. It depends on the premise. When they say "cars you should drive" do they mean cars it is reasonable for Joe Blow to literally go out and drive? Or do they include cars that are one-offs or that only a billionaire could afford? It would not be practical for someone to attempt to find and drive (or buy) a real 550 Spyder, but a replicar is rather easy to find, drive, and obtain. So when they say "550 Spyder" it may be tacitly implied, or openly stated, that they mean a "tribute" since real Spyders are not generally available. On the other hand, if they are searching out and driving the ultimate cars of the world, even unobtainable ones, then they should be showing the real cars on the show. But since they don't have Alain de Cadenet as their host, they probably couldn't get permission for Jimmy Whatchmaname to drive them anyway.
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)