Backfire update American Graffiti style!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
david johnston
356 Fan

Backfire update American Graffiti style!

#1 Post by david johnston »

Thanks to all who helped with my backfiring problem..here;s an update from this evening..
I checked the exhaust looking for any leaks it seemed good. I checked the cap and rotor...there was some gray filaments on the rotor so i cleaned them off and reset the middle point into the spring on the cap. Checked my idle (just a hair) then went for a drive. the first 15 minutes were wonderful..then I decided to take it to the store...fairly high revs 35-4200 down the road..upon deceleration it started to backfire a little not huge but it was there. I stopped at the store (very level ground) and went out to check the back..then I saw it....FLAMES shooting out of my exhaust..not 10 feet out..but they were there...that it the sound I've just recently started hearing. Any advice?

I only use Shell v power gas, I do add a product called sea foam every 3rd fill up..1/4 to half a can. Thank you all for any advice..I really want to hear it all. David

JOEL JENSEN

#2 Post by JOEL JENSEN »

Sounds like another version of 'Marvel Mystery Oil'. Is Sea Foam a by product of Sea Monkeys ?? :wink: What color were the flames ? When were your valves last adjusted ?

Jeff Tanko
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jeff Tanko »

Seafoam is primarily mineral spirits, alcohol, and water. It works well for cleaning fuel systems and blowing gunk off your valves(pouring it down the carbs), but unless you drive very infrequently, there's no real advantage to adding it regularly.
www.regaltbird.com Speedster #80486: restoration complete :)

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

Backfire problem

#4 Post by Tom Tate »

I've never had a backfire that produced flames that wasn't caused by an air leak that occured after the heads. Let the car cool off, get under it, and upon starting feel for air coming off the flange at the heads or the pipes going into the muffler/extractor off no. 1 or 3 cylinders. The latter are the pipes that run along the bottom of the heater boxes. I'd bet a beer that you'll feel hot air coming out somewhere. If exhaust is coming out, fresh air is going in. The flames are created by introducing fresh air into the exhaust system after combuston that ignites the unburned gases. KTF

backfire during foot lift off

#5 Post by Guest »

I've had the same problem about every two years since I bought my car. Every time, a valve adjustment cleared it up. Jim Slawson, 62 S90 coupe.