Front parking light on 356 c

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jason Parolini
356 Fan

Front parking light on 356 c

#1 Post by Jason Parolini »

I am trying to tighten the nuts on the back of front parking light from underneath the car. It tightens to a certain point and then "pops" and is loose again. Is there a way to remove the front of the parking light from the car to get that nut tightened down all the way? Once you remove the lens with a quarter turn it looks like the light housing is 2 pieces. Any direction would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jason Parolini

Jurgen Amtmann
356 Fan

Re: Front parking light on 356 c

#2 Post by Jurgen Amtmann »

The parking light is in 2 pieces, the front is a zinc casting with 2 steel studs cast in. The pop that you hear and feel is the stud turning in the casting when the nut hits a rust spot and turns the stud. Try holding the exposed stud while turning the nut to get it off, maybe some lubricant. If that does not work, you'll have to do what I did, and pull the stud (with nut on it) out of the casting, do the same on the other stud (maybe that nut will come off) to remove the light. The simplest thing to do is to replace the light. I was able to drill and tap the light carefully not to brake thru, and reattach the stud with a little epoxy re-enforcement after cleaning the threads on the existing stud. I had to do that because I had already re-chromed the casting for a restoration and a new light was expensive. Then re-attach very carefully. Jürgen

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Pic of the parts.

Mike
Attachments
IMG_0893.jpeg
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jason Parolini
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jason Parolini »

Mike Wilson wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:12 pm Pic of the parts.

Mike
How do I separate the front "collar" from the piece of the light housing that fits into the body of the car?

Jason Parolini
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jason Parolini »

Jurgen Amtmann wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:03 pm The parking light is in 2 pieces, the front is a zinc casting with 2 steel studs cast in. The pop that you hear and feel is the stud turning in the casting when the nut hits a rust spot and turns the stud. Try holding the exposed stud while turning the nut to get it off, maybe some lubricant. If that does not work, you'll have to do what I did, and pull the stud (with nut on it) out of the casting, do the same on the other stud (maybe that nut will come off) to remove the light. The simplest thing to do is to replace the light. I was able to drill and tap the light carefully not to brake thru, and reattach the stud with a little epoxy re-enforcement after cleaning the threads on the existing stud. I had to do that because I had already re-chromed the casting for a restoration and a new light was expensive. Then re-attach very carefully. Jürgen
Thanks,

I will try your suggestion of holding on to the stud while tightening the nut from the back.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

Another pic. The part that holds the bulbs has the studs. The studs go through the rubber boot and the chrome base though the body of the car and the backing plate.

Mike
Attachments
IMG_0894.jpeg
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jason Parolini
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jason Parolini »

Mike Wilson wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:01 pm Another pic. The part that holds the bulbs has the studs. The studs go through the rubber boot and the chrome base though the body of the car and the backing plate.

Mike
Thanks Mike

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Mike Wilson »

As always, glad to be of help.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Alan Klingen 2
356 Fan

#9 Post by Alan Klingen 2 »

Sounds like the nut or the lamp stud is stripped all you can do now is try a new nut and not so tight this time. Alan The Stable.

Brock Tuffli
356 Fan

#10 Post by Brock Tuffli »

Maybe add a few washers to have the nuts not hit the bad threads

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#11 Post by Mike Wilson »

Jason, can you take some pics for us?

Mike
Mike Wilson