What To Do While the Engine is Out Of the Car?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
david meyers
356 Fan

What To Do While the Engine is Out Of the Car?

#1 Post by david meyers »

Hello, I'm reaching out to all the 356 "Veterans", on behalf of first-timers like myself who could use some tips/advice, do's and don'ts, etc ,during or after this process.

Although my 64C has given "birth" before ...and I will have a some what experienced "mid-wife" assisting, I'm a little nervous about being a first time "daddy"...like when the engine pops out , what if I don't snip the fuel line just right and she "bleeds" to death???

okok, I know I'm sick<big grin here> I was thinking of things like throw-out bearing/clutch, doing both heads even though I only seem to have only one leaky exhaust valve ,etc,etc
....I just don't want to kick myself after the engine goes back in with a "coulda/woulda/shoulda," ....it would have been so easy and much cheaper while out.

many thanks, in advance to, AND from the members like me,
I haven't seen any threads on this subject , or are there?
david
David Meyers

It's never too late to have a happy childhood

George Walling
356 Fan

Re: What to do while the engine is out of car...

#2 Post by George Walling »

David, I would clean up & touch up paint as needed in the engine bay. I like to replace the clutch presure plate, clutch plate & also throw out bearing while the engine is out. clean up and inspect the flywheel. Also if I know nothing of how long it has been since the engine was out and gone through I might consider checking end play. The thing is if you have one valve leaking why I would have both heads rebuilt.

The thing is if you don't know how many miles and or how the engine was treated or serviced you might want to have a good experienced 356 mechanic give the engine a good full evaluation. If you have the money this might be the time to consider a engine rebuild. I'm by no means a expert with the Porsche engine but have work the diesel engine trade and also classic american iron and with that said I'm not a great fan of just doing a upper end fresh up as it can very easy shorten up the life of the lower end. i.e. cause oil burning from the worn rings and so. I'm not trying to scare you just give you some food for thought. I'm sure more knowledgable 356 engine folks will post there thoughts. Good luck and enjoy your 356. George
George E Walling

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#3 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Grease the mechanism inside the transmission housing that operates the clutch, ( the cross shaft and its two forks. Often overlooked, this part rarely receives the lubrication it needs to maintain smooth clkutch activation. I had one seize on a car I had owned and it made all the difference in the world after things were set right. Also lightly grease the shaft which the throw-out bearing rides on...use high temperature grease.
While the engine is out, replace the long length of flexible fuel line leading from the rear of the cockpit to the engine bay. These are usually old and porous and the cause of many strong fuel odors. Remove the starter motor and clean the electrical connections and the surface of the starter where it bolts up to the trans. Clean the section of the trans where the starter mates also...this will increase the ground contact.

Leo Hudson
356 Fan

#4 Post by Leo Hudson »

David, Besides things already mentioned it would be good time to check for leaks at the flywheel seal and transaxle input shaft seal and replace if found to be leaking. I would also check the crankshaft end play
Leo

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#5 Post by Steve Harrison »

Take a look at the starter bushing in the trans bell housing. This is the time to replace that.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ron LaDow »

Chris, should it be a stickee? This question comes up on a fairly regular basis. With credit to those who made the points and a request to add to them.

Certainly:
1) Replace fuel hoses
2) Lube clutch mechanism in bell housing
3) Replace starter bushing
4) Wash engine, tin, touch up paint
5) Lube t-linkage bell crank on front of fanhousing
6) ?

Maybe:
1) Clutch, P/P? (depends on condition; the P/P is balanced with the flywheel)
2) T/O bearing? (condition)
3) Throttle hairpin rod? (condition)
4) Trans mainshaft seal? (leak?)
5) Flywheel seal?
6) Trans mounts?
7) Muffler?
8) Engine tin sealing rubber strips? (oops. Looks like #8 and a paren is an icon)
9) ?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

david meyers
356 Fan

#7 Post by david meyers »

Hey thanks guys, keep em coming...I'm going to print myself a checklist to go by as I'm crawling all around, and under the car, so I don't forget anything....getting the car all dialed in properly this winter, will be the best Xmas present I could give myself <grin>

I love the Registry, there is more real world/practical info here, from the "trenches" ,than in most all of the books combined for sale out there....and I have bought every one, or tried to.

cheers,
david
David Meyers

It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jim Nelson »

It's also your chance to repair/replace sound insulation in the engine compartment; sometimes it's a little easier without the engine in the way.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#9 Post by Vic Skirmants »

And don't forget to take a photo of some fool grinning stupidly while sitting in the engine compartment. :P That's my favorite .
Then send it to Gordon Maltby with the "reflection in a hubcap" shot; that's his favorite. :wink:

Gordon Maltby
Registry Hall of Fame

#10 Post by Gordon Maltby »

Thanks Vic,

I was just gonna mention that. And be sure to have a cute kid and a kitten in the shot! We're always looking for great cover photos.

But wait, wasn't this about engine-out projects? I had to do some serious adjustment on a damaged heater flapper recently. I finally pulled the engine just to have easier access. Good time to clean all that greasy engine tin, too. And while you're under there, look at the trans mounts and see if they've turned to jelly yet. The list is almost endless.

Gordon

Matthew Devereux
356 Fan

Re: What To Do While the Engine is Out Of the Car?

#11 Post by Matthew Devereux »

I'm just getting ready to reinstall my engine having never dropped an air cooled before. It ws supposed to be a simple $200 clutch change. Here is what I did. I replaced the complete clutch as well as some of the above mentioned items like sound insulation repair, new tranny mounts, new intake gaskets, check end play, install pulley Speedi sleeve, measure carb booster flows and balance from side to side, and a serious amount of cleaning. Some jobs can't be done with the engine in and some are just much easier with the engine out. I noticed that there appeared to be some leakage from a few of the oil tubes so I bought a set of those new spring loaded tubes which I am waiting for. The heater boxes needed major cleaning after which I just sandblasted and painted them. The tin was chemically stripped and then primed and painted it with single stage urethane paint. I ended up needing some new hardware too. The slippery slope of getting a simple job done. :) I hope I can get it all back together now! Take lots of pictures.
Matthew Devereux
'00 Boxster S
'58 356A coupe

David Schillerstrom
356 Fan

#12 Post by David Schillerstrom »

Be sure to inspect the cross shaft arms where they bear on the throwout bearing "ears". If your engine was "droopy" check the trans mounts.

Jim Fleming
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jim Fleming »

It is a good time to install a hot start relay just in case you ever travel to the south west. They mount very nicely on the bracket that holds the brake cable straps. I like to safety wire the top left (drivers side) motor mount bolt to the trans-axle so you don't have to put a wrench on it and drill the top right bolt so you can add some bailing wire to hold it also.

I know the purists will scream their heads off but these mods make engine removal and installing so much easier for one person. On the right side just feed 6" of doubled wire from the bolt head up into the engine compartment past the seal so you can pull the bolt head tight against the starter for the washer and nut installation. Just leave it in place for the next time. If you are tempted to wire the right side like the left side; don't, or you will have to pull the motor to change out the starter!

Give it a try! you only have to drill 3 approximately 1/16" holes and save yourself (or your wife) 30 min. of grief Laying under the car snaking your arm back in those messy holes while the drippy fuel line and RTV applicator tip plug tries to pick you nose.

I also second the step of installing a fresh starter bushing in the housing at this time.
James H. Fleming

Roger Shapiro
356 Fan
Tag: Still searching for the Holy Grill

#14 Post by Roger Shapiro »

Let's sub title this thread "what is not so easy with engine IN the car"
First choice - get those two upper bolts to stay in place whilst replacing the engine. Hose clamp and glue, weld on washer, wire the two bolts to the trans housing.
Second - install a full flow oil filter - you will never regret it.
Thirdly - redo the engine walls with new "insulation." It is a definite PITA to do with the engine in.
Hope I'm not to late
Roger Shapiro
Roger Shapiro

Richard Higley
356 Fan

#15 Post by Richard Higley »

Welllll David,

The guys have given you a honeydo list that will likely keep you busy longer than it takes our politicians to pass a balanced budget (or ANY budget for that matter).

Ifn you're single, that will keep you out of the beer bars and busy in the garage for many a happy hour.

On the other hand, if you enjoy marital bliss (or hope to), then there is likely a sweet, patient and good humored woman in your life who has suffered quietly with your love affair with the 356; perhaps you should give her some much needed attention and romance till the car is back on the road and she must again be relegated to the number 2 position in your life! LOL.

So my advice is to hire the high school kid next door to do some of those low tech maintneance items and don't further neglect your sweet baboo during this automotive hiatus. LOL (But I would sneak a new throwout bearing in there if I were you).

KTF, Rick

(my apologies if this may seem off topic to some, but preserving the environment that our beloved cars must exist in is muey importante too.) HA