original engine on the shelf!!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bill Lawless
356 Fan

original engine on the shelf!!

#1 Post by Bill Lawless »

I know some, maybe a lot of people like to put there nicely rebuilt Original Engine under a sheet on the shelf and put something else in there 356 to drive around with.. Has anybody put something different in there car?? Like a Subaru Engine... Don't shoot me I'm original all the way..

Last winter I put a 2015 Forester engine in my 1981 VW Vanagon Camper Bus (Westfalia). Put 14,000 mi in 3mo. on a cross country trip this summer.. Got me thinking!!!!!

Bill
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: original engine on the shelf!!

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I remember reading of a 356 with a VW TDI engine.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dan Epperly »

Bill Lawless wrote:I know some, maybe a lot of people like to put there nicely rebuilt Original Engine under a sheet on the shelf and put something else in there 356 to drive around with.. Has anybody put something different in there car?? Like a Subaru Engine... Don't shoot me I'm original all the way..

Last winter I put a 2015 Forester engine in my 1981 VW Vanagon Camper Bus (Westfalia). Put 14,000 mi in 3mo. on a cross country trip this summer.. Got me thinking!!!!!

Bill
A guy I knew put a suby engine in a Ghia, crazy fast but,he had to butcher the hell out of that car to make it work.
I imagine you could build an aircooled VW engine for much less money and with much less carnage. Or do like the 912 guys and build a type 4 VW engine with the upright kit.

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Bruechle »

In my 53 I'm keeping the split case trans and the 2 piece motor on the shelf.
Putting in a built VW trans and a 912 motor I have with a mild/hot Norris cam and some Shasta P&Ls.
Some head work, headers ect.
Not sure if I'm going to run Webers or 40P11s.
Rancho Transmissions make a nose cone that will allow a VW trans.
Then you can haul ass, do burnouts or whatever and not have to worry about breaking the expensive 356 trans.

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#5 Post by Bruce Smith »

Bill Lawless wrote:Last winter I put a 2015 Forester engine in my 1981 VW Vanagon Camper Bus (Westfalia). Put 14,000 mi in 3mo. on a cross country trip this summer.. Got me thinking!!!!!
The Beck guys have put Subaru motors in theirs. I've wondered how they drive.
Bruce Smith

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#6 Post by Adam Wright »

The 914 guys have done it all, Suburu, Buick, Chevy. Lots of ingenuity over there in 914 World.

The easiest thing to do to get a lot of power is a Type IV.
1. Fairly Cheap.
2. Been done hundreds of times, so you don't have to re-invent the wheel.
3. Still Air-Cooled so no radiators
4. Still Porsche, so less angering of the Porsche Gods.

This is what I'm doing for the 550 build. I'm using a skinned chassis from a rolled over C Coupe, and using the rear suspension, engine and gearbox out of a 914. Once I have it fully operational I'll probably upgrade from the 1.7 that I have in the 914 currently.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

Do you have an engineer friend that can offer suggestions on joining the two structures in a rigid way? I doubt that the C body is presently strong enough in all the places you need it to be.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#8 Post by Adam Wright »

Martin Benade wrote:Do you have an engineer friend that can offer suggestions on joining the two structures in a rigid way? I doubt that the C body is presently strong enough in all the places you need it to be.
Still a couple of years out on that end of it, still making the body, which is slow....
Attachments
40.jpeg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jay Wiener »

I'd opt for the polo engine aka 911 engine with 2 cylinders chopped off

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#10 Post by Jim Liberty »

Contact Chris Toy in Laguna Beach, CA. He put a 930 in his C Coupe. Talk about scary fast.
Jim Liberty

M Penta
356 Fan

#11 Post by M Penta »

[quote="Bill Lawless"]I know some, maybe a lot of people like to put there nicely rebuilt Original Engine under a sheet on the shelf and put something else in there 356 to drive around with.. Has anybody put something different in there car?? Like a Subaru Engine... Don't shoot me I'm original all the way..

Bill[/quote

Hi Bill,

I can see why Subaru's are popular in van swaps, but would not do it in a 356. The other engines listed above are good options, but can be very pricey.

Why not a T1? A good T1 build can provide excellent reliability and performance and practically bolt right in. While your at it you can install a built VW trans

with minimal modifications.

You can have a drivetrain you can run very hard for pretty reasonable money, if you want to keep the original stuff on the shelf.

Mark

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#12 Post by John Lindstrom »

I have an extra engine and transmission out of a 2010 GT3RS that would give you one or two extra horses..