Worn Piston & rebuild parts

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Marc Graner
356 Fan

#1 Post by Marc Graner »

Hello list members,

I have recently acquired a old 912 engine, to get some (more) experience on an engine.
Learning every day - thanks to the list and got it running (see on: http://www.356coupe.de/).
Now I disassembled it. Nice dirt (a lot) and a broken piston ring came out. The piston walls
and the cylinder wall are looking good, but the piston top surface seems to have some
piston ring parts burned in. Do I need to replace the piston and cylinder?

[albumimg]1839[/albumimg]

What other parts do you usually replace, while an engine is already disassembled?
- All seals
- Flywheel nut
- Piston rings?
- Rod bearings?
- Other bearings?

What makes sense to replace? - Thanks in Advantage - Marc

Michael Eker

#2 Post by Michael Eker »

In 1904 Henry Royce met Charles Rolls whose company sold quality cars in London.
At their first meeting, Royce took Rolls for a spin in Royce no.1. Legend has it that as he climbed aboard, Rolls asked Royce to “start her up.” Royce replied, “My dear fellow, she’s already running!”

Your Porsche engine won't run like a Rolls Royce but it should still be pretty smooth see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otJHrbnT ... re=related

I have put engines back together keeping pistons that looked a lot worse than your photo.

Then again I am neither Henry Royce nor Ferdinand Porsche I suspect they would have

instantly binned it.

Another story about Henry Royce is that his wife complained about a gate that was coming

off its hinges. Henry, being an engineeer, undertook to deal with the problem himself.

He examined the gate and discovered that the screws holding the hinges were too small.

He obtained larger screws but when he attempted to use them he was taken aback by the

poor design of the screw threads. He abandoned the gate and retired to his workshop to

design a machine which would make better wood screws. Which he did three month later

though the gate was still hanging off its hinges.

Maybe the piston will be ok ??

meker