car won't start

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
joshua Veinbergs
356 Fan

car won't start

#1 Post by joshua Veinbergs »

Today I used my car after three weeks of hybernation. It started up easy and I took it for a spin, I turned it off went into store for 5 minutes and no more start. It didn't sound like a dead battery, I waited and tried after about ten minutes, still no luck. I jumped started it and it started fine. What could it be???

Joshua Veinbergs
Del Mar CA
63 coupe 212236

Gert Gehlhaar
356 Fan

#2 Post by Gert Gehlhaar »

I would guess that either your battery is bad or the connections at the battery need cleaning. When you jump started it you made contact again. Charge battery and check to see if it will start but I would also clean the battery posts and cables.

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jon Schmid »

I had my '64 coupe stop dead cold at a red light. I was lucky (with some help, funny how people show up to help you when you have a 356) to push it into an adjacent mini-mart parking lot. It was like a kill button had been hit. I checked all the coil connections, etc. and finally out of desperation tweaked the positive battery cable connection a bit (that should have told me something). Car fired right up--I took residential streets 2 miles to my house--tightened up the connection--it's been running great ever since. I can think of better ways of working up my adrenaline, however...

Jon Schmid
60 Roadster
64 Coupe