What's the best cleaner for tool kit bags?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

Re: What's the best cleaner for tool kit bags?

#31 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Benjamin,
Have you tried Oil Eater?
oileater.jpg
oileater.jpg (117.22 KiB) Viewed 2497 times

Benjamin Abraham
356 Fan

#32 Post by Benjamin Abraham »

Oil Eater and Goop Hand Cleaner have been ordered for follow up testing.... I will report back!!

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#33 Post by Spencer Harris »

HELP: I am having some technical difficulties uploading photos to this forum....many photos are appearing upside down...anyone know why this is happening? my solution, is to delete it from the post, re-save the file, and then re-upload it.

Benjamin, I think you've reached the limit for a single thread. I had that problem a couple years ago and ended up starting I think two additional threads titled "subject #2 and subject #3" in order to upload all the photo documentation. The other alternative might be to reduce the file size of your attachment photos. Looks like they're all in the 2 to 4MB range. Reducing them to 4 or 500kB will likely keep the thread within the limits of the server.
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Benjamin Abraham
356 Fan

#34 Post by Benjamin Abraham »

Spencer Harris wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:11 pm HELP: I am having some technical difficulties uploading photos to this forum....many photos are appearing upside down...anyone know why this is happening? my solution, is to delete it from the post, re-save the file, and then re-upload it.

Benjamin, I think you've reached the limit for a single thread. I had that problem a couple years ago and ended up starting I think two additional threads titled "subject #2 and subject #3" in order to upload all the photo documentation. The other alternative might be to reduce the file size of your attachment photos. Looks like they're all in the 2 to 4MB range. Reducing them to 4 or 500kB will likely keep the thread within the limits of the server.
will do...Thank you!

Benjamin Abraham
356 Fan

#35 Post by Benjamin Abraham »

I thought I would post an update on the buckle replacement.

Original Items:
The original size of the leather strap is 17mm wide (less than 11/16 inch)

The original buckle (inner width) is 19mm wide (more than 3/4 inch)
Original Buckle and two replacements
Original Buckle and two replacements
IMG_9199.jpg (4.12 MiB) Viewed 2441 times
19mm wide (original)
19mm wide (original)
IMG_9202.jpg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 2441 times

Replacement Buckles:
I have one replacement buckle from GM that is (a bit less than) 17mm wide...exactly 16.65mm wide or a bit more than 5/8 inch
16.65mm wide (replacement)
16.65mm wide (replacement)
IMG_9200.jpg (3.38 MiB) Viewed 2441 times

I have one replacement buckle from HR that is 20.79mm wide.....approx. 13/16 inch
20.79mm wide (replacement)
20.79mm wide (replacement)
IMG_9201.jpg (3.63 MiB) Viewed 2441 times

If anyone has a spare original buckle or a source for one that is 19mm wide, please contact me directly.

Thank you,
Benjamin

Gerald Manna
356 Fan

#36 Post by Gerald Manna »

Wink works very well on the rust stains that are on the interior fabric of the early bags. Be careful with it and be sure to flush and blot with water and clean white toweling. You will have to re dye the Blue B cloth interiors, no need with the white A bags. I have had great success cleaning the exterior of all vinyl bags with recycled paint thinner. I add 1 tablespoon of lacquer thinner per pint of paint thinner to help loosen the stubborn paint and tar stains. Spray on, brush with a nail brush or tooth brush until clean, dry and treat with Vinylex. Try to stay away from the white stitching which will discolor with the residue. The paint thinner will not destroy the vinyl grain as it cleans it out. Please test a small hidden area before you try any cleaning just to be sure. I provide original tool kits world wide to Restoration shops and serious collectors and it has always worked for me. Good luck Jerry Manna

Benjamin Abraham
356 Fan

#37 Post by Benjamin Abraham »

Gerald Manna wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:09 am Wink works very well on the rust stains that are on the interior fabric of the early bags. Be careful with it and be sure to flush and blot with water and clean white toweling. You will have to re dye the Blue B cloth interiors, no need with the white A bags. I have had great success cleaning the exterior of all vinyl bags with recycled paint thinner. I add 1 tablespoon of lacquer thinner per pint of paint thinner to help loosen the stubborn paint and tar stains. Spray on, brush with a nail brush or tooth brush until clean, dry and treat with Vinylex. Try to stay away from the white stitching which will discolor with the residue. The paint thinner will not destroy the vinyl grain as it cleans it out. Please test a small hidden area before you try any cleaning just to be sure. I provide original tool kits world wide to Restoration shops and serious collectors and it has always worked for me. Good luck Jerry Manna
I will have to agree with Jerry, Wink should only be used on the interior fabric part of the bag and not left to soak in. DO NOT use on blue bags... the dye will come off. I will edit my initial post regarding Wink to have this warning as well.

I have already done my trial#11 with "Oil Eater" and trial#12 with "Goop Hand Cleaner" and as soon as I complete trial#13 with Jerry's formula I will report the results..... in the meantime, i have been hunting everywhere for buckles, loop rings, rivets, and leather straps.
Overview
Overview
IMG_0269 copy.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 2188 times
tool belt buckle original
tool belt buckle original
IMG_0263 copy.jpg (917.18 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
tool belt river original
tool belt river original
IMG_0270 copy.jpg (830.25 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
I am showing two tool bags, one with original buckle and leather loop (leather strap and rivet have been changed), and the other with original rivet.
The measurements for the rings and buckles are all I.D. (Inner Diameter) except where noted.

-Ben

Benjamin Abraham
356 Fan

#38 Post by Benjamin Abraham »

UPDATE to STEP 2 for cleaning posted above: (2) protect leather strap: put leather treatment on the strap, roll it up and place in a plastic bag before proceeding to next step –EC. Mine was not present, so, nothing is done here (more on this later)
NOTE: I did not find a safe way to protect the leather straps. The older original straps are very brittle, and manipulating them by rolling them up and putting them into a bag can cause them to crack further. I tried many methods and nothing seems to work. The only method that another member suggested would be to remove the strap completely and clean the bag as described above. I would have to agree, I do not have another solution for protecting the leather strap. I have tried everything i could think of...water still seeps in.
Last edited by Benjamin Abraham on Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benjamin Abraham
356 Fan

#39 Post by Benjamin Abraham »

UPDATE on leather belt:

Leather Belt: Top one is a 1:1 reproduction of the original with one exception, it is slightly thicker 3mm vs 2mm

Buckle, Loop and Rivet: On the left are original items, on the right are reproductions
IMG_1590.jpg
IMG_1590.jpg (3.05 MiB) Viewed 2110 times
IMG_1591.jpg
IMG_1591.jpg (3.11 MiB) Viewed 2110 times

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#40 Post by Bruce Smith »

Ben - Where did you get the repro leather belt from?
Bruce Smith

Benjamin Abraham
356 Fan

#41 Post by Benjamin Abraham »

Bruce Smith wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:07 am Ben - Where did you get the repro leather belt from?
The person who made it for me wants to remain anonymous. Having said that, I will forward your contact info to him.
Sincerely,
Benjamin

Benjamin Abraham
356 Fan

#42 Post by Benjamin Abraham »

I am trying to put an order together for leather straps... I am trying to see how many people are interested and in what quantities.
So far I have:
1x TA
1x BS
2x VI

Thank you, Ben

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#43 Post by Joris Koning »

I will take some
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Benjamin Abraham
356 Fan

#44 Post by Benjamin Abraham »

So far I have:
1x TA
1x BS
2x VI
2x JK (I am assuming that "some" means more than one)
2x GK

-Ben

Benjamin Abraham
356 Fan

#45 Post by Benjamin Abraham »

So far I have:
1x TA
2x BS (updated number)
2x VI
2x JK (I am assuming that "some" means more than one)
2x GK
5x AH

I was recently told by the supplier that I will need to order a minimum of 50 straps. I will give everyone pricing as soon as I have it. I will keep the price down as much as I can. I am only doing this for the "hobby". If you think you might want higher quantities, please let me know. I will not hold anyone to it until after pricing is announced.

Thank you, Ben