What's the best cleaner for tool kit bags?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

Re: What's the best cleaner for tool kit bags?

#31 Post by Hugo Karasawa » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:35 pm

Benjamin,
Have you tried Oil Eater?
oileater.jpg
oileater.jpg (117.22 KiB) Viewed 381 times

Benjamin Abraham
356 Fan

#32 Post by Benjamin Abraham » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:48 pm

Oil Eater and Goop Hand Cleaner have been ordered for follow up testing.... I will report back!!

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#33 Post by Spencer Harris » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:11 pm

HELP: I am having some technical difficulties uploading photos to this forum....many photos are appearing upside down...anyone know why this is happening? my solution, is to delete it from the post, re-save the file, and then re-upload it.

Benjamin, I think you've reached the limit for a single thread. I had that problem a couple years ago and ended up starting I think two additional threads titled "subject #2 and subject #3" in order to upload all the photo documentation. The other alternative might be to reduce the file size of your attachment photos. Looks like they're all in the 2 to 4MB range. Reducing them to 4 or 500kB will likely keep the thread within the limits of the server.
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Benjamin Abraham
356 Fan

#34 Post by Benjamin Abraham » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Spencer Harris wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:11 pm
HELP: I am having some technical difficulties uploading photos to this forum....many photos are appearing upside down...anyone know why this is happening? my solution, is to delete it from the post, re-save the file, and then re-upload it.

Benjamin, I think you've reached the limit for a single thread. I had that problem a couple years ago and ended up starting I think two additional threads titled "subject #2 and subject #3" in order to upload all the photo documentation. The other alternative might be to reduce the file size of your attachment photos. Looks like they're all in the 2 to 4MB range. Reducing them to 4 or 500kB will likely keep the thread within the limits of the server.
will do...Thank you!

Benjamin Abraham
356 Fan

#35 Post by Benjamin Abraham » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:48 pm

I thought I would post an update on the buckle replacement.

Original Items:
The original size of the leather strap is 17mm wide (less than 11/16 inch)

The original buckle (inner width) is 19mm wide (more than 3/4 inch)
IMG_9199.jpg
Original Buckle and two replacements
IMG_9199.jpg (4.12 MiB) Viewed 325 times
IMG_9202.jpg
19mm wide (original)
IMG_9202.jpg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 325 times

Replacement Buckles:
I have one replacement buckle from GM that is (a bit less than) 17mm wide...exactly 16.65mm wide or a bit more than 5/8 inch
IMG_9200.jpg
16.65mm wide (replacement)
IMG_9200.jpg (3.38 MiB) Viewed 325 times

I have one replacement buckle from HR that is 20.79mm wide.....approx. 13/16 inch
IMG_9201.jpg
20.79mm wide (replacement)
IMG_9201.jpg (3.63 MiB) Viewed 325 times

If anyone has a spare original buckle or a source for one that is 19mm wide, please contact me directly.

Thank you,
Benjamin

Gerald Manna
356 Fan

#36 Post by Gerald Manna » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:09 am

Wink works very well on the rust stains that are on the interior fabric of the early bags. Be careful with it and be sure to flush and blot with water and clean white toweling. You will have to re dye the Blue B cloth interiors, no need with the white A bags. I have had great success cleaning the exterior of all vinyl bags with recycled paint thinner. I add 1 tablespoon of lacquer thinner per pint of paint thinner to help loosen the stubborn paint and tar stains. Spray on, brush with a nail brush or tooth brush until clean, dry and treat with Vinylex. Try to stay away from the white stitching which will discolor with the residue. The paint thinner will not destroy the vinyl grain as it cleans it out. Please test a small hidden area before you try any cleaning just to be sure. I provide original tool kits world wide to Restoration shops and serious collectors and it has always worked for me. Good luck Jerry Manna

Benjamin Abraham
356 Fan

#37 Post by Benjamin Abraham » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:32 pm

Gerald Manna wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:09 am
Wink works very well on the rust stains that are on the interior fabric of the early bags. Be careful with it and be sure to flush and blot with water and clean white toweling. You will have to re dye the Blue B cloth interiors, no need with the white A bags. I have had great success cleaning the exterior of all vinyl bags with recycled paint thinner. I add 1 tablespoon of lacquer thinner per pint of paint thinner to help loosen the stubborn paint and tar stains. Spray on, brush with a nail brush or tooth brush until clean, dry and treat with Vinylex. Try to stay away from the white stitching which will discolor with the residue. The paint thinner will not destroy the vinyl grain as it cleans it out. Please test a small hidden area before you try any cleaning just to be sure. I provide original tool kits world wide to Restoration shops and serious collectors and it has always worked for me. Good luck Jerry Manna
I will have to agree with Jerry, Wink should only be used on the interior fabric part of the bag and not left to soak in. DO NOT use on blue bags... the dye will come off. I will edit my initial post regarding Wink to have this warning as well.

I have already done my trial#11 with "Oil Eater" and trial#12 with "Goop Hand Cleaner" and as soon as I complete trial#13 with Jerry's formula I will report the results..... in the meantime, i have been hunting everywhere for buckles, loop rings, rivets, and leather straps.
IMG_0269 copy.jpg
Overview
IMG_0269 copy.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 72 times
IMG_0263 copy.jpg
tool belt buckle original
IMG_0263 copy.jpg (917.18 KiB) Viewed 72 times
IMG_0270 copy.jpg
tool belt river original
IMG_0270 copy.jpg (830.25 KiB) Viewed 72 times
I am showing two tool bags, one with original buckle and leather loop (leather strap and rivet have been changed), and the other with original rivet.
The measurements for the rings and buckles are all I.D. (Inner Diameter) except where noted.

-Ben