GT Mirrors

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Proctor
356 Fan

GT Mirrors

#1 Post by Steve Proctor »

I'm trying to make up my mind on a source for a GT mirror. There are so many configurations (rounded, squared off, etc.,) that I am confused as to which is correct. Would really appreciate opinions on:

Were the 356 GT mirrors the same as the Spyder mirrors??
Was there a standard configuration for these mirrors or were they all different?
Does anyone have an original GT mirror? If so, would appreciate chatting with you.

Thanks for helping!!!
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Bob Lee
356 Fan

Re: GT Mirrors

#2 Post by Bob Lee »

Steve Proctor wrote:I'm trying to make up my mind on a source for a GT mirror. There are so many configurations (rounded, squared off, etc.,) that I am confused as to which is correct. Would really appreciate opinions on:

Were the 356 GT mirrors the same as the Spyder mirrors??
Was there a standard configuration for these mirrors or were they all different?
Does anyone have an original GT mirror? If so, would appreciate chatting with you.

Thanks for helping!!!
Steve,
Here's an original GT mirror.
http://www.caporsche.net/images/carspre ... 00w/69.jpg
Back under my rock I go 8)

Bob Lee
356 Registry member 16135
Porsche 356 Club Past VP
912 Registry member 1588-R
2012 Fall Festival Chairman

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bil Brown »

Here`s my old 62GT Coupe #120271 with original aluminum fender mirror housing. The mirror was from a split window VW bus. Also, my 57 GT Speedster had the same mirror. I remember the Kardex for the Coupe said "Spyder spiegel" listed in the options.
Attachments
dscf3468.jpg
dscf2232.jpg
Bill Brown

janos szarvadi
356 Fan

#4 Post by janos szarvadi »

Original, steel, NOT aluminum.
IMG_4680.jpg
IMG_4681.jpg
IMG_4682.jpg
IMG_4683.jpg
IMG_4684.jpg
IMG_4685.jpg
 Real Carreras  have 8 cams

Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

#5 Post by Bill Sargent »

The only source I found for steel GT mirror housings was from Tom Butos (I think this is how it is spelled) whose business is called BUTOYS. He has copied a factory GT mirror housing. Price was about $300 each. He also makes a very nice mirror with a much better adjustment and mount than the VW bus mirrors. Sorry, but I do not have contact details. Warren Eads of Spyder Sports sells a very nice alloy copy of the factory GT mirror housing. This is what I used for my project.
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#6 Post by Adam Wright »

It's Tom Boutos, he also makes the rear louvered window thingies. The mirror on this car was not one of his, it is fibreglass.

His info is Tom Boutos <boutoys@yahoo.com>
Attachments
b-15.jpg
b-1.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#7 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Steve, Mine is an aluminum repro, same exact, correct construction as the one Janos shows in his post. But the finish was absolutely horrible (took lots of work to make it look right). It was brand new but came with extremely deep scratches, a very rough surface and terrible welding. If I had planned on using it unpainted, it would have been literally impossible.

I would never recommend the seller. Unfortunately, I can't mention his name here because this was 10 years ago and I'm not 100% positive if I remember who it was, although I'm almost sure. Don't think it would be fair to name them just in case I'm mistaken. But my point is that whoever you end up buying from, make sure you see a sample first.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#8 Post by Norm Miller »

Can anyone prove that any car came from the factory with a "GT" mirror.
I seem to remember Spyder's with them.
Perhaps the fast among us thought it was a good idea thus many were fabricated for other cars.
Therefore is there a "correct GT" mirror, or are they all correct?

Norm

A Warren Eads reproduction.
IMG_0722.JPG

C J Murray
356 Fan

#9 Post by C J Murray »

They look cool but don't work very well. That was my experience with the one that I bought from GT Werk which was aluminum and nicely made.
IMG_3216.jpg
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#10 Post by Emil Wojcik »

I agree. I like the look of mine but it's completely useless.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Bob Campbell
Registry Hall of Fame

#11 Post by Bob Campbell »

Urs Gretener at GPE in Paso Robles is the manufacturer of the aluminum spyder mirrors. Contact him at 805-239-2866.

Tell him Campbell sent ya.

Bob
Bob Campbell
1956 Porsche Special
1962 S-90 Karmann Hardtop Elec. Sunroof
1964 SC Coupe
1965 C Cabriolet

It's either this or a real job.
http://www.356Services.com

Max Handley
356 Fan

#12 Post by Max Handley »

Steve

Heres a pic of the GT Mirror on my Intermeccanica. It absolutely one of the best mirrors I have experienced in over 40 years , I'm sure its a combination of several factors , maybe the most important is placement on the fender. I've heard all the complaints regarding how useless these mirrors usually are, and I believe them, but they really nailed it with this one. Most likely fiberglass. You could contact henry or the staff at Intermeccanica & ask them what they used. Once your comfortable that you have a mirror that has been successful for others , then mock it up on your fender to locate the best position for you before the final mounting.

When I first drove the I.M. I was amazed at the clarity & perfect rear view it offered. No doubt one of ,if not the best mirror I've used, including all the standard mirrors offered by the factory or dealerships.

If you want some detailed pics let me know.
Attachments
Speedsterdeurpaneercarerra.jpg
IMG_2394.jpg
 Contact email Spyderwerks@comcast.net

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#13 Post by Steve Proctor »

UPDATE:

1. Contacted Tom Boutos. He told me that he has made these in small runs, but doesn't forsee making them again anytime soon.
2. Contacted Urs Gretener (thanks Bob Campbell). He told me that he makes the mirrrors that GTWerk and Warren Eads sells and he sells at the same price they do. He recommended that I go through one of them as they do the advertising and marketing (pretty standup guy). He says that his buck is patterned after an original (perhaps the same one from Warren Eads that Tom Boutos says that he used). With that knowledge, I examined the one from Freddy Rabbat's car and the one from Bill Sargent's car (that he got from Warren Eads) and they do, indeed appear to be identical to the one that GTWerk sells.
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Roy Lock
356 Fan

#14 Post by Roy Lock »

Steve, you can contact Bob Kann here: gtwerk@aol.com
If you have troubles, let me know.
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky" 

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#15 Post by Steve Proctor »

Gotcha, Roy. Have worked with Bob for his GT bumper trim and will contact him re: mirror. BTW, shops use Urs for the louvers as well.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757