GT Mirrors

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bill Wridge
356 Fan

Re: GT Mirrors

#16 Post by Bill Wridge »

Steve Proctor wrote:I'm trying to make up my mind on a source for a GT mirror. There are so many configurations (rounded, squared off, etc.,) that I am confused as to which is correct. Would really appreciate opinions on:

Were the 356 GT mirrors the same as the Spyder mirrors??
Was there a standard configuration for these mirrors or were they all different?
Does anyone have an original GT mirror? If so, would appreciate chatting with you.

Thanks for helping!!!
I removed an origional GT Spyder555 type mirror from my 1958 Sunroof coupe . This was my Fathers car which he purchased in about 1962. It is Aluminum and there are 4 holes in the fender , 3 of the holes are oval shaped and there is one round hole between the two rear holes. I am now attempting to re-install the mirror
but I seem to have misplaced the mechanism inside for adjusting. I remember a spring and a bar to hook it to but do not recall the looks of the tilting mechanism. A picture of the guts would be appreciated.
Thanks. Bill

Freddy Rabbat
356 Fan
Tag: Real Carreras have 4 cams

#17 Post by Freddy Rabbat »

My car was delivered with the GT mirror from the factory as per the kardex file.
When I got it the mirror was not there and I bought one set 14 years ago from someone claiming the mirror, stand and housing where original.
The mirror and stand seems to be original, but the housing although it looks exactly like those steel ones shown here, are made of aluminum.
Attachments
_MG_9964.jpg
_MG_9965.jpg

Freddy
www.356carrera.net

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#18 Post by Bil Brown »

Early 60s VW bus interior mirror works best with the Spyder type mirror housing. I just cut the stem to the proper length and then thread it.
Attachments
SAM_4577.JPG
SAM_4577.JPG (1.87 MiB) Viewed 727 times
SAM_4578.JPG
SAM_4578.JPG (1.88 MiB) Viewed 727 times
Bill Brown

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#19 Post by Norm Miller »

Aug 25 08 004.jpg
Aug 25 08 004.jpg (249.45 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Earlier quote:
#8 Post by Norm Miller » 03 Sep 2012, 18:49

Can anyone prove that any car came from the factory with a "GT" mirror.
I seem to remember Spyder's with them.
Perhaps the fast among us thought it was a good idea thus many were fabricated for other cars.
Therefore is there a "correct GT" mirror, or are they all correct?

Norm

Here is my old GT

Jim Perrin
Registry Hall of Fame

#20 Post by Jim Perrin »

Many years ago I had a friend by the name of Fred Schueneman, who lived on Long Island. Fred had worked for a while in a Porsche dealership parts department, and could tell you a very large of Porsche 356 parts numbers from memory. I was talking to Fred one day in the 1970's and mentioned that I had been looking a pair of Spyder mirrors for my Speedster for many years. Fred then explained that when working in the parts department he used to study the 356 parts books, and from time to time would order special items that he thought his enthusiast 356 friends and customers would like. He went on to say that some years earlier he had ordered seven pairs of Spyder mirrors from Porsche. He subsequently sold five pairs but paid for two pairs which he kept. I was elated when he told me that he would sell me one of his two pairs. They arrived and are as pictured by janos szarvadi in an earlier posting. They are steel and are mounted to your car with three screws. As stated by Janos, they are steel and not aluminum. They have a more nearly rectangular shape at the opening where the mirror sets than the more rounded one on my 550 Spyder. The 550 one was aluminum. I''m not sure, but it seems to me that I've seen photos of 550A's with the more nearly rectangular openings.
Jim Perrin