356C shifter locked - missing key

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: 356C shifter locked - missing key

#31 Post by Martin Benade »

Also the positions of the shifter, the locking plate, and the shift rod are all adjustable. It can take some playing around to get them right as they all must match. It's fun to solve a problem with three variables. it is easier to adjust it to lock in neutral only than neutral AND reverse, as it should be. I have had luck leaving the locking plate and the shifter loose enough they could slide a bit, stirring the shifter around and trying to lock it. Then when it does lock, remove the shifter and tighten the plate. then try again with only the shifter loose, and then tighten it too. Probably Alex's problem was more an adjustment problem- It would have been sloppy but it locks an the other part below.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Frederick Adler
356 Fan

#32 Post by Frederick Adler »

The rod is not in position in that pix but shows the brass part that turns over the rod to lock it down. It is a simple thing but clever.

Frederick Adler
356 Fan

#33 Post by Frederick Adler »

See the grove that the brass posts block when the key is turned?
Attachments
linkage 1.jpg

Simon Fairweather
356 Fan

#34 Post by Simon Fairweather »

A friend and I both have shift locks with no keys... and we'd like to remedy this. I have a questions to anyone who may have dismantled their locks; How do you remove the lock barrel from its case? There is a screw half way down the side which appeared to lock it in, but having removed it I still cant move the barrel from the case?
Botton screw in question
Botton screw in question
Does the key need to be in the lock or something? Does any one have a photo of the internals, or know a link to a picture? I realise that there are vendors that can reset/overhaul the lock for me, but I'm both intrigued and keen to do it myself if possible (I'm a jeweller).
Also there are two holes on the other side of the case which are threaded on my lock, and not on my friends lock. Why the difference? Mine is from a late T6B, and my mate's is a 64 C.
threaded holes in rear
threaded holes in rear
Another question to those who know that they have their original key sets; Do the keys for the shift lock mirror the keys for the ignition (with the exception of being on a longer blank), or did the factory just allot random sets for the door/ignition and the shift lock?
Thanks
regards
Simon
'63 356B T6 Coupe
'66 Austin Healey 3000 mk3 phase 2
'67 Mercedes Benz 250SE manual floor shift
'98 996 Coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#35 Post by Martin Benade »

I have studied and picked one of these out of the car. It is "locked open" or "locked closed" so it must be picked and turned to the halfway point to disassemble it. They are quite difficult to pick. Tony Eugeneo has a method where instead of picking the lock he mills off the side of the lock outer barrel and dumps the pins out, and then fills in the chunk of missing metal with lead or solder. It is crude but effective, I have one in my car that he did. The key is unrelated to the other locks on the car. Another thing I noticed in my studies- when the cylinder is out of the body there is a cut where I am sure a thin piece of rubber used to go to close off the key hole from dirt falling in, with a cut down the middle for the key to pass through. I have never heard mention of this but it looks like a likely feature.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Simon Fairweather
356 Fan

#36 Post by Simon Fairweather »

Martin - thank you! That sheds much light on the subject. A friend Of mine who has done some lock picking in the past (not as a criminal ;-) ) has had a go at my lock and got as far as setting 5 of the 6 pins, but then we ran out of time and stamina. With your info I'll persist and see if I can't crack it.
'63 356B T6 Coupe
'98 996 Coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#37 Post by Martin Benade »

If you get it apart, to reassemble it you will need tweezers and a shaft the same diameter as the cylinder to put it back together. You can do this with the locking peg out, and add it after everything is together. I can explain further if it isn't obvious. Have fun!
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Simon Fairweather
356 Fan

#38 Post by Simon Fairweather »

Thanks Martin
'63 356B T6 Coupe
'98 996 Coupe

Keith Lee
356 Fan

#39 Post by Keith Lee »

T6B. I have my shifter lock out and at an old school locksmith here in town. They are having a devil of a time trying to pick it. He says that he thinks it may be seized, or one of the pins has bound up inside as there is no movement at all. I understand that they are locked open and locked closed, but should there be a bit of wiggle?
I really want to use the original shifter lock and any advice I could give the locksmith would be beneficial.
Thanks
The primary obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge.
- Daniel Boorstin

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#40 Post by Geoff Fleming »

It is an excellent anti-theft device!
Because an owner knows how to unbolt it does not mean the average car thief does...nor will a thief even try to figure it out unless given a lot of time. The entire shift mechanism is covered by rubber which masks the allen head bolts. I know many 356 owners who can't figure out how to remove the lock, so a knucklehead who just wants to shift into gear and drive off will most likely not do the due diligence required to make the car shift. Likewise...use of the fuel on-off lever has prevented cars from being driven more than a very short distance. Again, since many owners are not familiar with the lever, odds are a thief isn't either.
Many 356s have been saved from being stolen by the use of the shift lock and or the fuel lever.

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#41 Post by Jim Alton »

Geoff Fleming wrote:Only a thief knowledgeable about 356s would know about the shifter lock. The average car thief does not expect a transmission to be locked in reverse or neutral and is not going to spend a lot of time figuring out how to undo the mechanism. Likewise, the fuel cock also is a very effective anti-theft device. Few modern drivers would think to look for an on/off fuel valve. I even know long time 356 owners who never knew it was there! Always a great idea to shut off the fuel supply when parking the car...a thief won't get far if he manages to start the car.
There was a 356 stolen in the Los Angeles area a year or so ago which was recovered at the bottom of the hill with its petcock set to "Zu." It did suffer wiring damage from the would-be thieves who must have read on this forum that "90 % of carburation problems are in the ignition."

The thieves to worry about nowadays carry the whole car away and worry about starting it later.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#42 Post by Martin Benade »

Yes, overseas!
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#43 Post by Greg Bryan »

I sent mine to Ryan Hernandez in Connecticut - quick turn-around, great communication and reasonable price to make the key.
He's a member, so you can look for his contact info in "Members"
Mine was also at a local locksmith who could not pick it to get it apart.
Greg Bryan

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#44 Post by Martin Benade »

Did Ryan succeed in picking it, thereby making you a key without cutting a portion of the lock body for access? If so, I am impressed.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#45 Post by Greg Bryan »

I don't know how he did it but the lock came back in less than a week with two keys and was Undamaged
Greg Bryan