FIRE EXTINGUSHER MOUNTING AND PORSCHE #1

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
JOEL JENSEN

#1 Post by JOEL JENSEN »

For those who followed the thread on fire extinguishers and where to mount them, check out the location in # 1. Convenient, and secured. Like this :wink:

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

#2 Post by Alex Mestas »

As an alternative, I found this to be closer to the driver and completely out of the way, yet easy to get to.
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

JOEL JENSEN

#3 Post by JOEL JENSEN »

Nice Alex, however mounting anything over the driver's footwell that has the potential to drop in on my control pedals has always been on my 'not to do' list. :D

Oh the shame, it has come to my attention through a 'well known 356 expert' that the extinguisher in #1 is actually a cleverly disguised schnapps dispenser, actually used to
spark fires in the damen occupying the passenger seat. 8)
Last edited by JOEL JENSEN on Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#4 Post by Barry Brisco »

JOEL JENSEN wrote:Nice Alex, however mounting anything over the driver's footwell that has the potential to drop in on my control pedals has always been on my 'not to do' list. :D
I mount my extinguisher in the same location Alex does: securely clamped to the steering column. The force required for it to "drop" on to the pedals is so great that if I'm hit with that much force I'll have far more serious things to worry about: or I'll be dead so it won't matter.

Mounted on the steering column it's easily reached by the driver. Mounting it on the passenger side makes it harder for the driver to access it in an emergency. Placing the extinguisher behind the seat makes it even less accessible.

Additional advantages of the steering column location are that no holes need to be drilled in the chassis and it's less visible than passenger side locations.

Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

JOEL JENSEN

#5 Post by JOEL JENSEN »

Barry,
If your extingusher uses the mount normally provided, all it takes is the release of the single clip that holds the strap. I know, I have 'experience' with this scenario. It may be 'unlikely', but it sure isn't pretty if it occurs.
Regards,
Joel

Barry Brisco
356 Fan

#6 Post by Barry Brisco »

JOEL JENSEN wrote:Barry,
If your extingusher uses the mount normally provided, all it takes is the release of the single clip that holds the strap. I know, I have 'experience' with this scenario. It may be 'unlikely', but it sure isn't pretty if it occurs.
Regards,
Joel
Joel, fair point. My extinguisher is held onto the mounting bracket with what appears to be a very secure quick-release style metal clamp. It would take a very strong impact to cause it to spring open, and in that case the extinguisher would not "drop" onto the pedals but would be propelled more to the side of the car (depending on which side of the car was impacted by another vehicle. The same thing would likely occur if the extinguisher was mounted just below the glove compartment, as your photos show.

Obviously a loose extinguisher inside a car is a bad thing no matter where it is mounted, and I've never seen a mount that couldn't be dislodged in a severe enough accident.

The photos you posted are rather small and I can't tell how the extinguishers are actually mounted. Are those photos of your cars, and if so can you explain the mounting type?

Thanks,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Robert Kenton
356 Fan

#7 Post by Robert Kenton »

Barry Brisco wrote:
JOEL JENSEN wrote:Barry,
Regards,
Joel
Joel, fair point. My extinguisher is held onto the mounting bracket with what appears to be a very secure quick-release style metal clamp. It would take a very strong impact to cause it to spring open, and in that case the extinguisher would not "drop" onto the pedals but would be propelled more to the side of the car (depending on which side of the car was impacted by another vehicle. The same thing would likely occur if the extinguisher was mounted just below the glove compartment, as your photos show.

Obviously a loose extinguisher inside a car is a bad thing no matter where it is mounted, and I've never seen a mount that couldn't be dislodged in a severe enough accident.

The photos you posted are rather small and I can't tell how the extinguishers are actually mounted. Are those photos of your cars, and if so can you explain the mounting type?

Thanks,

Barry- I assume you mount your extinguisher to the steering column with large hose clamps or something similar? Thanks.
Robert W. Kenton

Tom Farnam
356 Fan

#8 Post by Tom Farnam »

Barry, with all due respect, if you have ever had a loose fire bottle under your feet, the steering column is the LAST place you would mount one. Had one in race car "back in the day" which came out of clamp mounted to tunnel in 356. Fortunately it was during practice, not a race, and believe me the extinguisher was never again put in the clamp without a "racer's tape safety cover" (aka duct tape) over the clasp to be sure it did not come loose unintentionally. Those "strong" clamps can release very easily if a bit of clothing (pants leg?) catches on them. Only needs to happen once, and your car-saving fire bottle could cost a life.

Put a nice towel or other fabric around your Halon (or Halotron) 2.25 pound charge fire bottle, set it on the floor behind the driver's seat, and you will only see it when you want it.

No holes, no clamps, and no 10 pounds ready to "break loose" and hit your ankles when you least expect it.

You are not going to be using the fire bottle while you are driving, so worrying about being able to reach it while driving is not a realistic concern.

Tom
Tom Farnam C356C Reg. #450
D'Ieteren Roadster 89639
62Roadster at comcast.net
http://www.356registry.org/Members/Farnam/ Racewalking - www.walkingtom.blogspot.com

John Alfenito
356 Fan

#9 Post by John Alfenito »

I took my cue from Barry (and others offering advice here), mounting mine on the steering column. My worry that the extinguisher would interfere with my feet and the pedals was unfounded...and because of my liberal use of rubber in the attachment set-up, no rattles (or scratches to the column). I also like the location for its relative invisibility when you look into the car. My bracket has a double-latch, which makes an accidental release unlikely.
(Click on either pic for a blowup.)

Image Image
[url=http://www.infive.com][img]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u316/WardAutomotiveGruppe/JohnLeaderPics/PixelButton.gif[/img][/url]

Barry Brisco
356 Fan

#10 Post by Barry Brisco »

Thanks Tom, but we'll have to agree to disagree. Obviously I can't use the extinguisher while driving, but I might well need to use it in a situation where I was unable to get out of my seat after an accident. So the steering column location is ideal in that situation.

I would NEVER place an extinguisher loose behind a seat. In an impact it could fly all over the place. That seems very risky to me. Wrapping it in a towel does nothing to restrain it in the event of an accident.

Barry
Tom Farnam wrote:Barry, with all due respect, if you have ever had a loose fire bottle under your feet, the steering column is the LAST place you would mount one. Had one in race car "back in the day" which came out of clamp mounted to tunnel in 356. Fortunately it was during practice, not a race, and believe me the extinguisher was never again put in the clamp without a "racer's tape safety cover" (aka duct tape) over the clasp to be sure it did not come loose unintentionally. Those "strong" clamps can release very easily if a bit of clothing (pants leg?) catches on them. Only needs to happen once, and your car-saving fire bottle could cost a life.

Put a nice towel or other fabric around your Halon (or Halotron) 2.25 pound charge fire bottle, set it on the floor behind the driver's seat, and you will only see it when you want it.

No holes, no clamps, and no 10 pounds ready to "break loose" and hit your ankles when you least expect it.

You are not going to be using the fire bottle while you are driving, so worrying about being able to reach it while driving is not a realistic concern.

Tom

JOEL JENSEN

#11 Post by JOEL JENSEN »

Barry,
I am not referring to a hard collision, simply stating the obvious. If it falls down in the passenger footwell, it will be contained there by the center tunnel. If it falls down on your side for whatever reason, you have an unforgettable experience in your future. Again, I have 'experience' in this area. I think the factory has it right and not for cosmetic reasons. BTW, the photos are of #1 (silber) and my car, (grun) Mine is mounted to the bottom of the glove box with short bolts, large fender washers and self locking nuts. The box is easily repaired or replaced should my grandsons ever loose their minds and do the concours thing with it after my demise, but then the car got third in class at the WCH concours, whoda thunkit ??? Tom is partly correct but the notion of leaving any heavy object loose in a moving vehicle is anathema to common sense, and it will likely wedge itself under your seat during braking, making it extremely difficult to access when you see those flames coming through your grille (s). :wink:
If you want it our of sight and convenient, mount it longitudinally to your rear shift coupler cover plate. I am sure there are plenty of those 'rare' pieces available if drilling a couple of holes is a problem, but then you already did that when you put in those seat belts. :D

Michael Eker

Newton's laws V fire extinguisher

#12 Post by Michael Eker »

From my school days: distance = velocity squared / (2 X acceleration)

Sorry this is metric.

Velocity at 30 Mph = 13.3 metres per second.
Acceleration due to gravity = 9.81 metres per second per second

So to hit the ground at 30 Mph you to need to fall from a height of.

(13 X 13/ 2 X 9.81) = 4.6 metres or 15 feet.

Driving at 30mph and hitting the rear axle of a 40 ton semi is the same at falling on

your car dashboard from a height of 15 feet. (if my sums are correct)

I would rather have something softer to cushion my knees than a fire extinguisher.

The best place for it is bolted to the floor in front of the passenger seat.

meker

Bill Block
356 Fan

#13 Post by Bill Block »

I find using the Pullman strap loops to bolt down the fire extingusher bracket, keeps the fire extinguisher with in easy erach and securely fastened.

Bill Block
Registrar 356 REGISTRY register & reviews columnist
BLOCKS BOOKS
7295 Coldspring Ln. West Bloomfield, MI 48322 USA
blocklab@aol.com
1952 15
00N #11994
1953 Bodenrahmen #50312
1957 Super tractor #133/7622
1959 1600N sunroof coupe #1060721
1965 356C Porsche cabriolet #161564
1966 911 coupe #303269

Robert Kenton
356 Fan

#14 Post by Robert Kenton »

Bill Block wrote:I find using the Pullman strap loops to bolt down the fire extingusher bracket, keeps the fire extinguisher with in easy erach and securely fastened.

Bill Block
Registrar 356 REGISTRY register & reviews columnist
BLOCKS BOOKS
7295 Coldspring Ln. West Bloomfield, MI 48322 USA
blocklab@aol.com
1952 15
00N #11994
1953 Bodenrahmen #50312
1957 Super tractor #133/7622
1959 1600N sunroof coupe #1060721
1965 356C Porsche cabriolet #161564
1966 911 coupe #303269
Bill- Pardon my naivte', but what, exactly is a "Pullman strap loop" ?
Robert W. Kenton

Tom Markussen
356 Fan

Position of fire extingusher

#15 Post by Tom Markussen »

Here is a close up photo of how Porsche placed the fire extingusher in the Porsche #1.

I have chosen to place mine under the passenger seat (Speedster seat). I made a tray of aluminium sheet. It is placed securely without any drilling/holes in the car! It is a 1.2 kg size. The only problem is of course that the passenger need to get out quickly before I can stop the fire...

Toom

Tom Markussen
1958 Porsche 356A Speedster T2 #83967
1958 Porsche 356A Coupe T2 #104598
1960 Austin Healey Sprite MK1 Frogeye #AN5/43259
1955 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint #349