Fuse Box Choice

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Robert Harrington
356 Fan

Fuse Box Choice

#1 Post by Robert Harrington »

I have two new fuse boxes. One fuse box has brass slip-in strips that slide in under the wire and connect two ( or three ) posts and are held in place by tightening the screw. The second fuse box has brass strips soldered onto the back of the fuse box where two ( or three ) posts are connected. Is one of these preferred over the other? Is either one prone to give trouble over a period of time?

Thanks!
Robert Harrington

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

Re: Fuse Box Choice

#2 Post by Thomas Sottile »

soldered is the way I would go.

George Walling
356 Fan

#3 Post by George Walling »

Robert, I'm no authority on Porsche fuse boxes but when it comes to electrical connections I always favor soldered connections over snap or crimp connections. Lots less chances of failure with a soldered connection. Good luck happy 356 motoring. George
George E Walling

Sterling Vaden
356 Fan
Tag: Where is everybody going?

#4 Post by Sterling Vaden »

The one with the straps that fit into the wire slots is a new universal fuse block. They are completely reliable and likely better than an original. The one with straps on the back is an original fuse block, and if the strap is soldered, it was probably repaired, as they were not soldered originally. The straps on the back could fracture from thermal cycling and become intermittent. Definitely not as reliable as a new one. But if yours has been repaired then it may or may not be as reliable as the new one. I would judge by the overall condition, and the condition of the screw terminals on the rest of the block.
SV
356*D = 912
http://picasaweb.google.com/456311

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Brad Ripley »

The original fuse block will have the bridge connections riveted in place, not soldered as Sterling points out. The holding screw for the cover will be offset from the center and the cover will be slightly domed/curved. There are no more of those from the OE supplier. I seen only a couple of NOS pieces of those.

The block we currently offer does not have the bridge connections but we suppy some brass bridges for the purpose. When installed, the bridges will stick out a little bit. Check your wiring diagram for the connection sequence. The holding screw is in the center of the cover.

Originals are made of Bakelite and can crack with age. Modern ones are made of some sort of (better) plastic and should be very reliable. No, a reproduction is not planned.