Help in setting ignition timing

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Joost van der Velden
356 Fan

#1 Post by Joost van der Velden »

Hello,

I am in need of some help in setting the ignition timing of my S90 motor and I have never done this, so here are some questions....

I would like to do the method with the 6Volt lightbulb and I know that for a S90 motor I need to take care of BTDC which equals approx. 3,6mm.

I have the problem that I have 3 marks on my pulley near OT.....

1. What will be my starting position? Is the OT mark on the pulley the mark most to the left (seen from behind)? Or can I maybe use the notch on the distributor body?
2. The 3,6 mm marking which I have to mark on the pulley is to the right of the OT mark? (standing behind the car face forward)
3. Does someone has a usefull tip how I can best get a correct straight view from the OT marking to the line carved in the generator stand?

Thanks for your help!

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#2 Post by Norm Miller »

Joost,

Initially set it 4mm left of OT. It probably will run better at 6 to 8mm static.
A power timing light will help you dial it in after the initial setting.

Norm

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.

Cliff Murray

#3 Post by Cliff Murray »

Hello- Your best bet is to buy a timing light with an accurate advance dial so that you can use the TDC mark on the pulley. With an adjustible timing light you can check full advance which is very important. You can also check advance at idle and therefore the total range of advance. It will also tell you if your timing is jumping around due to various mechanical issues. Be carefull not to get injured by the running engine/belt.

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#4 Post by Norm Miller »

The previous e-mail should read 4mm right of TDC for initial setting.

Getting old is not for sissys.

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.