Porsche 356 in (not movies..!) fiction novels.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Anthony Hall Berry
356 Fan

#1 Post by Anthony Hall Berry »

As Adam seems to have the "356 in film" topic covered, I thought this might be a fun thread, as I recently discovered a lengthy 356 reference in Dennis Lehane's very first novel, "A Drink Before the War". Mr Lehane is most notable for his later novels "Mystic River" and "Gone, Baby Gone", as well as his fine writing for the HBO production, "The Wire".

On page 51 of this hard boiled private investigatrion thriller the hero introduces "his boy toy"as follows:

"Mine is a 1959 Porsche Roadster convertible. It's royal blue, with a wood finish steering wheel and a twin cowl cockpit. True, "cockpit" is a term usually reserved for jets, but when I've taken this thing up to a hundred and forty or so, I've gotten the impression that liftoff's only a few blurred road signs away. The interior is a rich white leather." And, on and on.

Wood finish wheel? 140 MPH? White leather interion? Twin cowel? Oh well, poetic license I guess....

Any other 356 literary references out there?

Tony

Michael Jekot
356 Fan

#2 Post by Michael Jekot »

Tales of the City, a series of seven books written by San Francisco novelist Armistead Maupin. Tales of the City is also the name of the first book in the series. The first four books in the series were originally serialized in the San Francisco Chronicle while the fifth book was serialized in the San Francisco Examiner.

There is a 356 driven throughout the series that ends up crashed and burning.
MICHAEL JEKOT
Founder
http://www.transportationguild.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

Wow, this might open up a whole new avenue for 356 research. I have all but exuasted 356 in movies. I am down to the dreggs, like did you know there was a Speedster in "Big Mamma's House", or better yet, did you care.

Thanks guys for giving me something to dig into again.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Ashley Page
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ashley Page »

Adam Wright wrote:Wow, this might open up a whole new avenue for 356 research. I have all but exuasted 356 in movies. I am down to the dreggs, like did you know there was a Speedster in "Big Mamma's House", or better yet, did you care.

Thanks guys for giving me something to dig into again.
Don't be stepping on my favorite movie.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

No, seriously, since I have been doing the Registry column for several years now, the anount of movies with our favorite car in them has all but been beaten to the end. The cool ones I did first like:
1. Faster Pussycat KILL! KILL!
2. The Highlander
3. On The Beach
4. The Fast and The Furious (the original 50's BW film)
5. Harper (Paul Newman) a REAL Classic
6. The Quiller Memorandum
7. Bullitt, it's Steve McQueen and Jacquiline Bissett!!!
8. Coming Home
9. Top Gun
10. Doc Hollywood

These are by far the best 10 356 movies to watch. I just wish there was more.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Adam Wright »

Also, I have all of these movies in my private library, if anyone wants to borrow them.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Anthony Hall Berry
356 Fan

Another 356 in fiction.

#7 Post by Anthony Hall Berry »

Ok guys and girls,

Here is another reference.

In Dan Brown's ridiculous best seller, "The Duh Vinci Code", Collett is running through a converted horse barn and finds the stalls occupied by exotic iron....including a "vintage 356 Porsche". Too bad that crazy albino monk didn't get to drive it around for his murderous excursions. Actually, he reminds me of my latin teacher at Crespi Carmelite High School, in Encino, California, back in the day. But,.......I digress.

Tony

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Adam Wright »

Here are some pics from the movies.

www.unobtanium-inc.com

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#9 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Adam,
Any idea what dealership the plate frame is from in the 2nd pic?

Mark

----- Original Message ----
To: 356talk@356registry.com
Sent: Friday, April 4, 2008 12:37:25 PM
Subject: [356Talk] Re: Porsche 356 in (not movies..!) fiction novels.

Here are some pics from the movies.
[Image: http://www.postimage.org/aVzhiz9.jpg ] (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVzhiz9)

[Image: http://www.postimage.org/aVzhxx0.jpg ] (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVzhxx0)

------------------------
KTF-
Adam
63 Coupe 212104
60 Roadster 88775
99 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG
Registry 17369

www.unobtanium-inc.com

You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

Another book with a 550 and a 356 in it

#10 Post by Adam Wright »

Man, you got me.

But this is cool, my wife just yells to me that the book she is reading had a 550 and a 356 in it. The book is called Christine Falls by Benjamin Black.
www.unobtanium-inc.com