starting problem

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Einar Sigurdsson
356 Fan

starting problem

#1 Post by Einar Sigurdsson »

My "63 coupe has a strange starting problem. When it is cold it is all right, pumping gas and all the usual things but with a help of a 6 volt electric fuel pump the cold start is not a problem. However after a few miles drive and then turned of it seems like the battery is almost empty. Then after it has cooled down it starts like nothing ever happend. Sooming up the problem "When it's hot it's not" :-) But I am going to France for the 2012 parade so I have to fix this before the long drive. My mecanic is lost on this problem and I am just a carpenter. If there is anyone out there who has had a similar problem I would very much like to hear the solution.

Kindest Regards,

Einar Sigurdsson, Iceland

jay abrams
356 Fan

Re: starting problem

#2 Post by jay abrams »

Einar,
Sounds like a worn starter bushing (providing your battery is ok).
Jay
jay abrams

Einar Sigurdsson
356 Fan

#3 Post by Einar Sigurdsson »

Thanks I'll look in to that :)

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

#4 Post by Tom Tate »

If it was a starter bushing the problem would happen hot or cold. This List has looked at that issue many times (Barry?) and it is almost always a bad ground, either the strap from the transmission to the chassis or the ground strap to the battery. Clean those 4 points (2 on each) off good and see if the problem isn't solved. KTF

Steve Domenicone
356 Fan

#5 Post by Steve Domenicone »

Check the connections. Especially the battery cable at the starter.
Stephen Domenicone, LTJG, USN
VP-30, NAS Jax,
Jacksonville, FL  32299 

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ron LaDow »

Einar,
You might check the float levels in the Zeniths. Cold, the fuel would have evaporated; hot it might be overflowing and washing the lube from the cylinder walls.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Einar Sigurdsson
356 Fan

#7 Post by Einar Sigurdsson »

Ron LaDow wrote:Einar,
You might check the float levels in the Zeniths. Cold, the fuel would have evaporated; hot it might be overflowing and washing the lube from the cylinder walls.
Maybe that is why my car smells so much of gasoline after a drive, or is that normal. I have also heard "they spit when cold". I have the only 356 here in Iceland so no one to compare with.