Gas in My Oil - Again

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
PaulLear
356 Fan

Gas in My Oil - Again

#1 Post by PaulLear »

Happy New Year --

Opened my garage door to the smell of gas this morning and found that gas has gotten into my oil (again). Other than the smell itself, the symptoms are clear - the oil itself smells like gas and the level is way to high.

The last time this happened I had the (zenith) carbs rebuilt and it seemed to have solved the problem for a while. I also turn off the fuel valve while parked.

Because it's happening again I am curious if anyone else has experienced this before and what the cause might have been?

Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: Gas in My Oil - Again

#2 Post by Wes Bender »

Are you sure that the fuel valve is actually shutting off? Turn it to where you think it is off and then see if fuel is leaking past it. You will probably need to got under the car and take a hose off at the valve to verify this.

Cheers,
Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Whether the car is an early one, or later, where the valve handle was up or down, or whether someone installed the handle the wrong way: Up or down, is on. Full clockwise is reserve, full counterclockwise is off. Simple.

Gary Delahanty
356 Fan

#4 Post by Gary Delahanty »

The same thing happened to me. It turned out that the float on my left Zenith had fuel inside of it and was not allowing the needle valve to shut off fuel to the float bowl. I replaced the float and that took care of the problem. Here's the thread with all the helpful suggestions from everyone -- http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/1/28664.html

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Gary Delahanty

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

Paul,
If the gas is getting to the sump from the carb or carbs, you should be able to remove the air cleaners and see raw fuel in the carb throats (flashlight only, not a candle). It should also leak out of the ends of the throttle shaft(s). If the carbs are done properly, it should also not do so, even if the petcock is left open. Gary mentions 'sinks' (rather than 'floats'); bad float valve(s) and other issues can cause the problem.
Regardless, if it is the carb/carbs, be very careful; before the fuel leaks past the rings, it can collect in the chamber and you can suffer hydraulic lock on a start attempt, causing more damage.
So do a visual check to see if it is a carb problem and contact the rebuilder if so. They or it should *NOT* leak, either externally or into the intake tract.
I don't recall you as a Pre Mat customer. If you are and if one or both are causing the problem, my apologies; contact me, and I will make it right with you. If they're not Pre Mat rebops, I'll bet the folks who did them will also make it right.
There is one other path; is your fuel pump in good shape?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz