Shipping Porsche from Colorado to California

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
George Nostrant
356 Fan

Shipping Porsche from Colorado to California

#1 Post by George Nostrant »

I need to get a 1957 Coupe shipped from Glenwood Springs,Colorado to SF BAy Area, California. Would like some suggestions of auto shipping companies that members have used and liked.

George Nostrant
gwndds @gmail.com

Will Scheidegger
356 Fan

Re: Shipping Porsche from Colorado to California

#2 Post by Will Scheidegger »

Drive it!

Take a few days of, take the train from SF to Glendwood Springs (both a relaxing & beautiful ride!) and drive your 356 back to SF. That's how I would do it. You'll need to check the weather forecast first. Otherwise you'll end up in a CO snowstorm which can easily drop a few feet of snow on you in a day. :wink:

That's how I would do it (And I've done it before, unfortunately not in a 356).

Best regards,
-will
'59 T2 Coupe project
'63 VW Type 1 sunroof 
'64 VW Type 2 "Samba" (21 window) project
'67 Jaguar S-Type
'79 VW Type 2 Westfalia camper project
'91 VW Type 2 Doka (double cab) syncro project
'04 VW T5 Multivan
Looking for engine 600 604

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#3 Post by Steve Proctor »

My first 356, circa 1977, came from Colorado and yes, I did drive it back home to South Dah-Koh-Tah where I lived at the time. Ran great, but...the first indication that something was wrong was when I noticed undercoated duct tape drooping from the closing panel just behind the front wheel on the drivers' side. As I was a rookie, I did not yet know about the dreaded 356 four-letter-word, rust...

Hope your experience is different than mine.

STP
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dan Kalinski »

George Nostrant wrote:I need to get a 1957 Coupe shipped from Glenwood Springs,Colorado to SF BAy Area, California. Would like some suggestions of auto shipping companies that members have used and liked.

George Nostrant
gwndds @gmail.com
I've used these fellows as have many NW Collectors:

Both Randy and Fred communicate between themselves, so it does not matter who you call.

FYI: Randy McKinley: maxiet@gmail.com (360) 661-1734 - Fred Koller: fkoller@earthlink.net (702) 361-1928

They do nation wide and lots of west coast work. Very dependable/efficient.
Attachments
HPIM0056.JPG
HPIM0050.JPG

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

I used Intercity Lines from CT to NM a couple of years ago having used them ten years before. It was about $2K and four days. Cars are held down onto tracks in the floor by straps over the tires. Some interesting stuff onboard like a Williams F1. Not a scratch, all spare parts were intact and the driver helped me push it into the hangar (carefully).

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

#6 Post by Richard Shilling »

I worked down the street from Reliable Auto Transport and going to lunch would always look at the trucks to see what they were carrying. Reliable did a lot of transport for museums and auto factories and unusual, expensive cars were common on the trucks. They did a good, professional job with my 356 from California to Washington.
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

Robert Kenton
356 Fan

#7 Post by Robert Kenton »

Dennis ODonnell wrote:I used Intercity Lines from CT to NM a couple of years ago having used them ten years before. It was about $2K and four days. Cars are held down onto tracks in the floor by straps over the tires. Some interesting stuff onboard like a Williams F1. Not a scratch, all spare parts were intact and the driver helped me push it into the hangar (carefully).

+1 --- I've used Intercity three times over an approx 10 yr span, with great results each time. The only thing I recall is to take the ETA they give you with a grain of salt. You're pretty much on their schedule, subject to their dispatching, once they have your car loaded. That said, I would certainly use them again.
Robert W. Kenton

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#8 Post by Adam Wright »

Whatever you do, don't use http://www.theexpressauto.com/

They lock you in with a cheap quote, than after several weeks of you complaining, they ask for more money, then when they arrive they want even more money, bad way of doing business. Also, you are locked in because you give them 6-8 weeks to pick up the car or you lose your deposit.

I have a broker who does all my shipping that I don't pick up myself, they are honest and I have never had a problem. http://carmover.net/
Tell them I sent you and you are one of my Porsche friends, they usually do a little better on the rate, ask for Sue, 518-842-9770
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.