End of an era

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

End of an era

#1 Post by Adam Wright »

RIP
Attachments
roadandtrack.jpg
roadandtrack.jpg (145.56 KiB) Viewed 705 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jeffrey Vogel
356 Fan

Re: End of an era

#2 Post by Jeffrey Vogel »

autoweek too died a while ago ,
jeffrey vogel
driving since 1959
porsche 356 SC
bugatti t35
lotus elan s2
miata NA
BMW r27
Triumph t100R
ALFA gulia

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bruce Smith »

They announced this two years ago, I though it died then. What's left of the old ones, Motor Trend and Car & Driver?
Bruce Smith

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

It is said: "You never forget your first!" and it's never been truer than in this case. R&T was the very first car magazine I ever read and also subscribed to at age 9. Sad. RIP.
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jan Kolm »

When VW Trends ceased publication several years ago, you would have figured the publishers would have substituted European Car (formerly VW & Porsche, Volkswagen Greats) to run out the subscription.

They sent out Sport Tuner instead--completely different reader audience.

I had dropped European Car several years prior, as its entire focus was on late-model, water-cooled product.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Glen Getchell »

I dropped my Road & Track when they changed the format and Peter Egan retired (I only kept it for him the last year or so he was still there). The revamped page lay out was so confusing and annoying and in my opinion all jumbled up. A computer geek friend said they were trying to make it look more like something you would read on line. Well that was exactly opposite to why I want a magazine in print. That and their writers that in my opinion failed to develop a style and personality (like Manny & Egan) doomed it to being just another boring car rag with boring writers talking about generally boring modern four wheel computer chips.

Glen
64Cx2

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#7 Post by Adam Wright »

Magazines really died in the early 2000's, some older publishers just hung on until the wheels fell off. Take it from a guy who shuttered his magazine in 2006. But we did it right with pride and dignity, last issue was a quality product, and we didn't have to file for bankruptcy. Paid everyone and turned off the lights. Could of we have held on for a few more years, sure, but I'd have ulcers and debt. Nope, read the writing on the wall and moved on.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#8 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Glen Getchell wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:24 pm I dropped my Road & Track when they changed the format and Peter Egan retired (I only kept it for him the last year or so he was still there). The revamped page lay out was so confusing and annoying and in my opinion all jumbled up. A computer geek friend said they were trying to make it look more like something you would read on line. Well that was exactly opposite to why I want a magazine in print. That and their writers that in my opinion failed to develop a style and personality (like Manny & Egan) doomed it to being just another boring car rag with boring writers talking about generally boring modern four wheel computer chips.

Glen
64Cx2
Glen; could not have said it any better!

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#9 Post by Phil Planck »

Several years ago I was given a complete set from beginning to about 1984 in R&T binders. Spent many enjoyable evenings going thru the ones I had not seen, as did not start buying or subscribing until 1964 or so. Peter Egan was first column I read the last few years.
Phil Planck

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#10 Post by Alan Hall »

Apparently T. Tom Meshingear told his companion Trebor Crunchcog "I don't think there's any money in this anymore"

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#11 Post by Mark Roth »

I cancelled my subscription when they changed the format a few years ago. Instead of road tests with classic photo angles of the interior, sides, etc., we got five pages of artsy fartsy photos of tires, blurred cars in front of still trees, and text buried in photographs.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#12 Post by Martin Benade »

I recall reading an article recently about an unfamiliar car and I wanted to see what it looked like. They only had detail shots, not any of the whole sculpture.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#13 Post by Harlan Halsey »

John and Elaine Bond. JLK Setright defined "patina". David E Davis. Denise McGluggage. Max Hoffman's Frank Lloyd Wright designed showroom. Le Chanticleer. Luigie Chinete. Britt Ragsdale. Mark Donahue. Mt Equinox. Janet Guthrie. Ice racing. Bridge Hampton and race for the New London Ferry. Charlie Rainville. The dollar was backed by gold, and political correctness hadn't been invented. Twas a golden age of fooling with cars.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#14 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Mark Roth wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:18 am I cancelled my subscription when they changed the format a few years ago. Instead of road tests with classic photo angles of the interior, sides, etc., we got five pages of artsy fartsy photos of tires, blurred cars in front of still trees, and text buried in photographs.
Bingo! Same here; couldn't tell the articles form the ads.

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#15 Post by Dan Macdonald »

The 'artsy" photos never portrayed the essence of the cars. I couldn't "see" them.
Why didn't they just stand back and give us the image of the cars in a way that we could see the lines and balance of the auto's design?
It's a shame they folded but they were chasing down the wrong road (and track).
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356