Furry weatherstrip on chrome molding side window

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Chuck Wilson
356 Fan
Tag: 119094

Furry weatherstrip on chrome molding side window

#1 Post by Chuck Wilson »

I have a 62 b t6 coupe
I am trying to figure out how the furry weatherstrip is attached to the chromemolding that runs on the upper part of the door. I noticed the inner furry weatherstrip is held in against the inner door panel (upper part steel) with clips. I see that there are for screws but I ordered them from stoddard , these screw do not look like they will fit all the way through the furry strip. any tips
Thanks

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

Re: Furry weatherstrip on chrome molding side window

#2 Post by Richard Shilling »

I'll tell what I remember, but I think you should wait for confirmation from the resto guys as I did mine 4 years ago. The screws go very deep into the fuzzy strip. If they were to stick out, they would scratch the glass.
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

Robert Deutman
356 Fan

#3 Post by Robert Deutman »

On my T5, the inner furry strip is secured with clips and the outer furry strip with 4 tiny screws. I'm just about to replace the furry strips and I am figuring out if I can remove the screws without removing the window glass (so far I could only remove the two screws on either end, but the window is in the way to get at the two middle screws). Any advice?

A related question: how does one replace the outer window rubber seal that is secured above the outer furry strip (in between a chrome strip and a metal strip at the top of the door body)? The four screws mentioned above go into the metal strip. In case my explanation isn't clear: I want to replace the rubber seal with Stoddard part number 644-531-931-41.

Regards,

Robert.

Chuck Wilson
356 Fan

#4 Post by Chuck Wilson »

Did a lot of close looking and memory recalling. The chrome window molding is held in place by 4 screws. The chrome strip has four indentations for the screws to fit into so the screws will not rub the glass AND disort the furry weatherstrip. This is what holds the rubber strip between the chrome strip and the door. I remembered I had to peel off the old furry weather strip and when I took a very close look I could see the old glue. So I used 3M adhesive and glued the new weatherstrip on. This is my version and I'm sticking to it.

Chuck Wilson
356 Fan

#5 Post by Chuck Wilson »

Robert
I left you out ,sorry. If you take out the 5 bolts that hold the window regulatur (spell?)(not the frame) you will be able to get the window down further and have acess to the two middle screws.

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Chuck Wilson wrote:Robert
I left you out ,sorry. If you take out the 5 bolts that hold the window regulatur (spell?)(not the frame) you will be able to get the window down further and have acess to the two middle screws.
You can just remove the square window stop instead of the whole regulator, as in the following 356talk item:

Subject: T-6 Fuzzy strips:
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 07:49:53 -0500

This past Sunday I spent a little time working on our 1964 SC. I found
that installing the fuzzy window strips was very easy. After removing
all the Ness parts to get to the window regulator. I found that all I
needed to do to get the window low enough to remove the four screws in
the fuzzy strips was to remove the square window stop. This is above the
lower arm on the piece that carries the window. First I carefully
marked its location so it would be easy to put back. The nut on the back is
10 mm atf. Watch for the washer to stick to the nut and fall off when
you remove the nut. After that remove the old strips use them to measure
your new strips and then cut the new strips to fit. With a pencil mark
the location of the holes on the back piece. Use a clothes pin or any
small clamp to hold the new strips in place. With a sharp punch go along
and very carefully put in the holes. Now put in the screws. Put it back
together and your done.

Living the Dream
Pat & Heidi Murphy
356 SC Coupe Irish Green
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

John Eaton
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Eaton »

On my 61' roadster, the chrome strip has matching holes for the tiny screws. I marked the fuzzy strip by placing it on the chrome strip and then using a sharpy from the other side of the chrome strip. (my chrome strip was dismounted first. Then i drilled a small pilot hole through the back side of the weather strip. Next I mounted the chrome onto the door with small screws. Finally I put the fuzzy strip on and made sure the screws were "buried" all the way to the bottom and not exposed at all. There is a metal bar on the back side of the fuzzy strip, so the screws secure the strip via that bar. I hope this description is clear.

Robert Deutman
356 Fan

#8 Post by Robert Deutman »

In the end I stripped the whole door for a rust treatment. Only the door lock mechanism is in the door at the moment.

I'll be starting the reassembly of my door today. I'm planning to do it in the following order:
1. Outer door handle (done).
2. Chrome strip (5 screws) with furry weather strip.
3. The large chrome window frame (with the window already in the frame to make it easier?).
4. Window mechanism (4 bolts)
5. Attach window back to the 2 rollers on the window mechanism.
6. Position the chrome window frame properly and attach with various bolts.
7. Attach door cover, door handles, metal sleeve with inner furry strip.

Does this make sense?

Where does the smaller figure-8 rubber strip go (step 2), does anyone have a photo of it in its correct position? I cannot locate it on my other door (which is still assembled and I'm using it as a very handy reference).

Thanks for any tips!

Regards,

Robert.

Preston Brown
356 Fan

#9 Post by Preston Brown »

There are two sections of the smaller rubber strip (figure-8 as you call it) fits under the chrome strip that holds the outer furry strip. It sits between the chrome strip and the body. under the full width of the chrome, and between the chrome and the vent window as well.
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-01-15 at 3.10.55 PM.png
Preston Brown
1965 356C - http://www.brown-house.net/356project
1987 911 Carrera
2009 911 Carrera S

Robert Deutman
356 Fan

#10 Post by Robert Deutman »

Thanks Preston! That's what I figured as the most logical place (I meant the smaller rubber strip between the chrome strip and vent window) but my other door does not have that rubber strip so I wasn't sure. I'm glad I don't have to start over.

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#11 Post by Mark Sabbann »

This is an old thread but rather than re-inventing the wheel I'll just add to it. Does anyone have a photo of how the clips holding the inner furry weatherstrip on a 'C' door are installed? I've had my doors apart in preparation for a repaint that fell through (shop stood me up after giving me the go ahead to remove all trim etc. down to the body....long story) and am re-assembling them so I have a car to drive. My current inner weatherstrips are pop-riveted to the inside of the garnish rail and I didn't realize there was a clip system to be used.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#12 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Mark Are you talking about these clips? https://www.stoddard.com/64453100200-nla.html.html If so they are on the garnish rail. See this link: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41143 I know that 356 restorer Neil Goldberg always recommends using pop rivets rather than screws that can back out and scratch the window on the stip that attaches to the door. Also read Bruce Baker's comments here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25829
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#13 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Doug McDonnell wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:37 pm Mark Are you talking about these clips? https://www.stoddard.com/64453100200-nla.html.html If so they are on the garnish rail.
Yes Doug, those are the ones. With the garnish rail covered, I didn't see the holes. I suppose the aluminum rivets could be in those holes. Good to know though -Thanks. The pop rivet solution makes sense so I won't be buying the clips. But, I wonder if the clip system projects more and places the furry strip slightly closer to the glass than the pop rivet system.

And as Bruce Baker inferred, sequence of assembly is important. I learned that the hard way when trying to mount the outside chrome strips. Had the window frame and regulator installed BEFORE the chrome strips. I was able to loosen things up enough to lower the glass and raise the frame without full removal and was able to get at the mounting screws. It's been a great learning experience as I refurbished and cleaned all the parts prior to reassembly on the car.
Last edited by Mark Sabbann on Fri May 03, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#14 Post by Doug McDonnell »

The pop rivets were for the strip on the door. Not for the garnish rail which is where the clips are used.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#15 Post by Mark Sabbann »

My pop rivets hold the furry strip to the garnish rail and the correct screws go through the furry strip and chrome strip on the outside of the glass. With that as it was, there has been minor scratching of the glass. Maybe when this all has to be done again after the repaint this Fall, then pop rivets could be used through the outer furry strip and the chrome trim strip.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'