Koni shock rebuild

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
William Tripodi
356 Fan

Koni shock rebuild

#1 Post by William Tripodi »

I'm looking for someone who rebuilds Koni shocks. I've heard of a "Craige Smith in Morro Bay", does anyone have a contact for Craige or any other contacts for Koni rebuilds?

Bob Lee
356 Fan

Re: Koni shock rebuild

#2 Post by Bob Lee »

William Tripodi wrote:I'm looking for someone who rebuilds Koni shocks. I've heard of a "Craige Smith in Morro Bay", does anyone have a contact for Craige or any other contacts for Koni rebuilds?
If it's leaking send it back too Koni's rebuild program, their guaranteed for life.
Back under my rock I go 8)
Bob Lee
356 Registry membver 16135
Porsche 356 Club member
912 Registry member 1588-R

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Brad Ripley »

Maybe your Konis are not rebuildable? As discussed a few times previously, if you can pull your Koni to its full extension and can see a gland nut at the top of the main housing, then it's rebuildable. Then send off to:
http://www.koniracing.com/services.cfm

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#4 Post by Peter Silten »

Koni replaced my shocks in 2006 under their guaranteed for life program, which I believe started in the early 70s when Koni was acquired by its present owner. Older Konis are not covered by this program. When I contacted Koni, about their guarantee, they asked for a copy of my original receipt for the shocks to show the date of purchase and that I was the original purchaser. I told them that I never received a receipt, as they were installed by my mechanic who was long gone. The way we resolved this problem was by me providing them with the date that was stamped on the shocks and a copy of my vehicle registration to show that I was the owner of the car when the shocks were manufactured. I also had to send them my old shocks.

Dick McNaney
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dick McNaney »

Interesting, just today I installed new shocks I purchased in 1978 plus or minus. I looked at them with a magnifying glass there is lots of patent information in barely discernable stamping but no date. The box has no date but has ID information that correctly identifies them as the correct for my Porsche, they are red. The directions are identical for the blue ones I removed with no ID or date information. After a short test run they seem to be fine after being on the shelf all that time.

The blue ones I removed appear to work just fine but the bushings on the rears failed and more or less disintegrated. Maybe I will go to the trouble to have new rubber and bushing installed and shelve them for when the red ones wear out? I'm guessing the original Boges (sp?) probably lasted 5 or 6 years so I installed the blue Konis in the late 60ies. Maybe there are dates buried under the grime?

It is fun bringing these wonders back to life. I feel sort of like Rip Van Winkle.

Dick Mc 63B

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dick Weiss »

I had a set of blue Konis rebuilt a 1/2 dozen years ago by Koni of North America in Hebron, KY and not paying attension to their construction of the top end being welded vs. the screw cap, they found out that particular construction would cost @ least double of a new Koni ($300+). The only reason the 'blues' were needed was for the '60 S90 Cab installation wanted by the owner.
Otherwise, Orange (or red?) Koni # w/dates and Porsche part # costs about $135-150 and no warrenty.

Dick

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#7 Post by Jim Liberty »

Mr. Ripley, you are always a wonder to me. Who else would know that about Koni rebuilds.

......................................................Jim.
Jim Liberty