Rear glass on removable hardtop same as karmann notch back?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Colin Thorpe
356 Fan
Tag: Colin Thorpe

Rear glass on removable hardtop same as karmann notch back?

#1 Post by Colin Thorpe »

Can any one tell me if the rear glass on my 58 cabriolet hardtop is the same as the rear glass on a Karmann notchback?
Colin Thorpe
New Zealand 

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: Rear glass on removable hardtop same as karmann notch ba

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

I don't think so, I know the corner windows are similar but not identical, same with the latches. I think the rear glass is also close, but no cigar. Any Notchback guys that can confirm or deny?
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Colin Thorpe
356 Fan
Tag: Colin Thorpe

#3 Post by Colin Thorpe »

Thanks for the response Adam,

My car is show level and my glass has a couple of non repairable scratches, the glass experts have seen it, so now the tough search for near perfect replacement!
Colin Thorpe
New Zealand 

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

I would be on the lookout for another hardtop you can get the glass out of. Hardtop's are not worth much, usually less than $1000, you could pick one up, swap the glass and re-sell for roughly what you have in it. I passed on one last year, damn near perfect, but they are hard to sell and the truck was getting full.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

#5 Post by Bill Sargent »

I believe the glass on a 1961 Karman notchback is the same as a cabriolet hard top. The factory made 1961 model notchbacks by welding a hardtop on to a cabriolet body. That is why so many 1961 notch backs turned into cabs - cut off the hard top and you have the cab windshield complete with soft top mount location pins etc. The 1962 Karman notchback went to a purpose built top with a larger rear window and a different windshield frame which no longer had the hidden cab top parts. The rear window from a 1962 will definately not fit a cabriolet hard top.
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#6 Post by Mark Roth »

The notchback rear windows are the same for the T-5 and the T-6. Parts catalog says that the glass is the same as the removable hardtop. The front windows are different between the T-5 and T-6 as the T-6 is one inch taller.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Brad K

#7 Post by Brad K »

i also posted a thread a while back with this question - here's the link with some more detailed answers/part #'s - hope this helps - brad in seattle

http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/1 ... 30#p124430