Rear Side Panels

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Frederick Heiler
356 Fan

Rear Side Panels

#1 Post by Frederick Heiler »

I'm removing the interior panels under the rear windows, but this section of my 356 shop manual is missing. Is this info somewhere on the site?

If not, could someone please give me some guidance? These panels seem to be held in primarily by the trim under the rear side windows, but I don't see an obvious way to remove it....

Matthew Devereux
356 Fan

Re: Rear Side Panels

#2 Post by Matthew Devereux »

I just posted about this last week. The trim piece has to be removed but does not hold the panel in. There is one screw under the vertical rubber door seal that secures the trim piece. The top of the panel has a cardboard strip on the back side that sits in a slot. The bottom of the panel is stapled to a strip (this is how mine was installed but I am not sure if this is the factory installation). You will also see how the front vertical edge of the panel is wrapped around the door post lip and glued. There is also one u shaped clip that holds it to this lip. The horse hair and felt backing did not appear to be glued to the panel but rather the wheel well. Again, this is how mine came apart but I am unsure as to what is original.
Matthew Devereux
'00 Boxster S
'58 356A coupe